Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger 3055. 8 shot redhawk

BorderShift

1 hour ago, MWP said:

Hey thanks, I appreciate that. 

As for the gun itself, I bet Dave Olhasso will let anyone check it out if you catch him at a match with it. 

He was more than willing to do that at the NE regional match. It felt nice. Not sure I'm ready to give up my 627 though

21 hours ago, BorderShift said:

My 8 shot 357 redhawk is right at 8.5 lbs with a spring kit. Just think the da pull could be made lighter with separate hammer and return springs. And wider range of grip options with a grip stud instead of a square butt grip frame

You are correct.  I've worked on many Rugers for myself and family members, and have also used each platform in competition.  If anyone has questions about how to set-up a Super Redhawk, GP100, or Redhawk just drop me a note.  I can probably point you in the right direction.   

The Super Redhawk and GP100 actions can run in the 6.5# range using the stock trigger and hammer.  You will need to perform a decent action job and use reduced power springs.  I've set-up two GP100s in the 6.5# range when using Federal Magnum Small Pistol primers.  One is currently set at 7.5# to run Remington (I had a ton in stock). 

I've also set-up two Super Redhawks in the 6-6.5# range using Federal Large Pistol primers in 44 Magnum, and Federal Small Rifle primers in 454 Casull.  I will note that the Federal Small Rifle primers had trouble in cold weather.  The 454 had a few light strikes in 0-15 degree weather when shooting DA.  Cocking to SA they all went off.  I ended up boosting the mainspring tension in that gun so it was 100% reliable at all temperatures.

Lastly, one of my packing pistols is a 45 Colt Redhawk which is set-up to run Federal Large Magnum primers at 8.5#.  I've tried to go lower and there's not much room using the stock hammer/trigger.  At that pull weight I've had 100% reliability, but going down to 8# will results in light strikes.  

A few notes if you go down the Ruger path.  Check that your hammer and transfer bar are properly fit and that your clearance between the recoil shield and primer are suitable.  I actually had one GP100 that started producing light strikes with fully seated primers, but ran fine when they were just below flush.  The firing pin wasn't protruding enough for a solid strike.  The S&W guns are easier to work on and  have better options for aftermarket parts.  Though if you really like Rugers they can be set-up to run nicely.

1 hour ago, Alaskan454 said:

A few notes if you go down the Ruger path.  Check that your hammer and transfer bar are properly fit and that your clearance between the recoil shield and primer are suitable.  I actually had one GP100 that started producing light strikes with fully seated primers, but ran fine when they were just below flush.  The firing pin wasn't protruding enough for a solid strike.  The S&W guns are easier to work on and  have better options for aftermarket parts.  Though if you really like Rugers they can be set-up to run nicely.

Thanks for the heads up. So far 100% with winchesters. The da pull weight is workable for me. When I send the gun off to get cylinders chamfered and hammer bobbed I will likely have a bowen extended firing pin and bowen target rear sightsight put on. Between the firing pin and bobbed hammer I think that should get me in pretty reliable territory. I'm using Winchester primers as I can get them local and are usually  in stock I have not seem federal small pistols for some time.

• 1 month later...

Ok, Let's resurrect this thread.

Just got my redhawk back from TK customs. What a diffrence! The da on this thing is like silk compared to before. I went with the package they offer for the redhawk except I had them install a Bowen rough country sight.  Have not shot I it yet but did a little dry fire. 😀