Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New To 40 S&w Reloading - Tips

Cotys

I'm new to 40 reloading. I've been looking over the forum. Any quick hints to help me get started.

In 45 ACP I've learned no AMERC brass and that WIN NT use SMALL pistol primers instead of LARGE.

I'll keep reading, just looking for a few starter pointers.

Coty

I've not had any trouble with any of the brass I've reloaded. Guns like SVI, STI, and Para have mags that are really for 10mm. So they work better if the rounds you load are at a 10mm length or close to it. But in order to do it you have to have the chamber freebored.

Everybody has a favorite load, with a favorite powder, and a favorite bullet. Mine is a zero 180gr hp in front of 4.8gr Solo 1000 at 1.25. That figures right at 168pf through my gun. No smoke, no recoil, no durt, good accuracy. BTW, solo 1000 is my favorite powder because I've got a s^$% load of it around here from trap shooting.

If you're loading for long length, like in a Para or STI, most load to about 1.18 to 1.20 OAL. For a Glock or what not, regular length is fine.

Since I mentioned Glock, once fired brass from ranges is cheap....but so much is shot from Glocks that have loose chambers that bulge cases. If you're loading for 1911 or match chambers, you'll need to do full length case resizing, either have them "rolled" or use an EGW or Lee Undersize sizing die, and you'll eliminate 99.9% of your feeding or chamber check problems.

You can double charge .40s pretty easily, it will all fit in the case with a lot of the various powders, so use a powder check with a Dillon 650, or visually check every case on other machines. Your gun will thank you. :P

3 best products I have found for .40:

1) Lee Factory Crimp Die - the ONLY carbide crimper. There is an additional carbide ring in the body of the crimp die to keep the bullet in place. Why use it? .40 seems to KB more than other calibers that people reload. Why? Lot of reasons but I think that set-back is a leading cause. The FCD helps prevent set back.

2) Hornady OneShot or other suitable case lube. USE WITH CARBIDE DIES TOO! Much easier on your press as well as your arm & your brass. OnsShot can be left on the case & shot that way.

3) Lee U or Undersized die. See #1. I have NEVER had a setback or KB & I use total crap brass (not recommended). Use OneShot & its no more trouble to load .40 with this.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

carlo

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that uses OP brass (other peoples). I just got 4000 pieces of once fired brass. I didn't ask if any of it had been shot in a Glock. It turns out that about 75% of it had. I took a double hand full of it and resized it through my 650 (Dillon Dies), then checked it with a Dillon case gauge. Every one of them fit without problem. Point being that 40 brass is more forgiving that I gave it credit. Maybe the nightmare about Glock brass doesn't come true until it had been shot in a Glock, reloaded, then shot in a Glock again.

As the folks above said, Use a full lenght sizing die ( I use the Lee die from my old lee loader where some folks go with an undersize die) and use Hornady "One Shot" case lube. It makes loading much easier. Soem folks don't like it, but I think it is worth the effort to try it once.

YMMV

dj

Welcome to the Forum.

I use once fired brass, a Dillon sizing die in sation 1 and a EGW U die in station 2 (Dillon 650 press). I gauge every round, if it doesn't pass the gauge, it goes into practice ammo.

I would also add inspect your brass, if it doesn't look right toss it. (Better safe than case head separation.)