Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting rid of the trigger “Twang!”?

GIO

I have 2 Gen 4 G17s. One is a full TTI build and the other I have been practicing my  gunsmithing skills on. 

I added a TTI spring/connector kit and did the basic polishing, etc. Trigger is ok but I can’t get rid of that Staple Gun TWANG.

You know that really loud sound at the break that makes the front sight shudder when you dry fire? 

What am I missing and what segment of the trigger system dictates that super hard “break”? Is it the cruciform to striker lug relationship? Should I polish, lightly break the edge on the striker lug? 

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

GIO 

I'm using either a 2 lb Zev or a 3 lb Lone Wolf (both give the same action weight with either the gen 3 g34 or the gen 4 g34 mos).

Note I use only Fed Primers!

They both have Johnny Glock triggers/connectors/fp safety & spring/trigger spring.

Both above g34's with Zev lightened strikers are at 2 3/4 pound actions and not much twang left.

FWIW I like my 1911/2011's actions at a crisp 2 1/2 pounds.  So the glock triggers are not quite as nice as 1911's on the crispness but the pre travel and over travel are pretty minimal with JG's stuff.

Bowen - I purchased the TTI spring kit so I think it would be the same as my full TTI gun. I swapped top ends and the twang-hard break is still there so it seems like the issue is in the bottom end? TTI lower on my other upper isn’t as smooth as the full TTI but the twang is gone. 

Thankmyou Pskys