Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" 2011 Frames

BigDave

I'm planning a new gun project and I'm thinking about going the 6" route. I haven't seen many (any?) guns built on a SV's or STI's 6" full dustcover chassis. Is there anything special about these slides, other than being 1" longer, that makes them difficult to build on? Or, are they no different than a 5" (in the pictures the frame rails look like the are in the same position and the same size as a 5").

TIA

6" dustcovers are actually fairly popular here in the Eastern Colorado section. A good buddy has one and loves it. It shoots reaaaaaaaalllly soft, like an open gun without the noise.

There's nothing architecturally special about them though, they're just like any longslide.

I saw one, a 9mm, in the hands of Benny Hill this weekend. His was not a full dustcover and used as a 3 gun pistol. The muzzle rise looked like something from a bb pistol.

:) Well, this rod would be deployed to punch groups in an NRA D1 target a 50 yds. That's what I like to hear.

Now - 9x19, or 38 Super?

Bennys pistol is a 9x19, its just his low fat 6in in 9x19. Its is a very accurate pistol and very soft. His mags are STI with NO spacers(in fact 2 of them are mags I had left over when I sold my super). Just IMSI springs , old style STI followers and Dawson pads, no spacers. Hes shooting UltraMax factory ammo, pistol never fails to run.-------Larry

All the longslides in my 'hood are 40's, including mine. Approaches to slide lightening vary quite a bit. My buddy's gun is just flat-topped, mine is tri-topped with a bunch of extra cuts in the sides, others are in between. Supposedly the "right" way to do a longslide is to get the slide weight down to the same as or less than a 5" slide, but after trying one with a full-weight slide I'm not sure how much it matters.