Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light strikes with a PC 627? How to diagnose and fix?

t0066jh

On 9/25/2018 at 6:57 PM, JDMahan said:

I don't know if it is relevant, but I had a similar situation with my 625.

Kept track of moonclips, headstamp, etc., no common thread.

HOWEVER, it seemed to happen with light loads and long shooting sessions.

Best I could figure, the light loads didn't expand enough, and I got fouling that (slightly, almost imperceptibly) impeded chambering. So the firing pin strike just finished the chambering. The 'light strikes' fired on second attempt.

I now just brush the chambers (dry) when I'm shooting high round counts of light loads, and I haven't had a recurrence.

Hope it helps, if it does thanks goes to the guy shooting a 686+ that told me about his similar issues.

John

Especially with a 45 and sub 140 pf loads, depending on powder you can get excessive soot or granules.  If your cases show a lot of black down the side of the case you may be seeing this.

3 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Especially with a 45 and sub 140 pf loads, depending on powder you can get excessive soot or granules.  If your cases show a lot of black down the side of the case you may be seeing this.

This is a good point. It was noticeable, usually just on one side of the case.

John

Thanks for all of the suggestions.   Since some of them were beyond my capabilities I took my the gun to my Master Revolver Gunsmith.   In addition to other small items, he found that the trigger pivot pin was broken (warranty item) and the gun needed to be returned to S&W.  Called them and immediately received a return shipping label to return the gun.  Gunsmith is writing a descriptive of the problem.  The gun will ship out tomorrow.

3 hours ago, JDMahan said:

This is a good point. It was noticeable, usually just on one side of the case.

John

Yes, don't quite know why but I've seen the same.  Seems like the lower you get the more coverage though.

But usually a heavy, i.e. normal, will still set off the round.

I'd bet it is the broken pin, had one do that also, had a hammer pin on one, a trigger pin on one and one or the other on a third.

If you have any custom parts, I'd take them out and put factory original only in.  Even Springs, they may just replace everything with factory original.

Edited by pskys2