Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are Corrections Officers “Law Enforcement” according to USPSA?

CTJer

On 9/5/2018 at 8:38 PM, OPENB said:

You missed the post where I said I am a cop, for 27 years. And,  most cops are D & C class shooters. That's just a fact, not rude or otherwise. Maybe it's because what is tactically sound doesn't make for a high hit factor. But, for what I've seen for over a quarter century, most of us don't practice.  What I do on the job has absolutely no bearing on having a category.  Hell, firefighters do some of those things you described, they don't have a category. 

I guess I don't need to have a category to know what I've sacrificed. 

This really isn't accurate.  I've been a cop since '91 myself.  Most cops don't shoot competitively, so they wouldn't even be a "D". 

The Force Science Institute has done some really cool studies regarding the SWAT guys, the regular cops, etc on their reactions times and accuracy in simulated deadly force situations.  The SWAT guys usually crush the times and hits of the beat cops.  And most of us cops who shoot competitively on a regular basis crush the SWAT guys rather easily.

Obviously there are a couple dozen cops in the nation that are top tier competitive shooters.  Frank Garcia comes to mind.  Bob Vogel is or was another.