Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are Corrections Officers “Law Enforcement” according to USPSA?

CTJer

I do not know, but am curious as well.  

Similar question.  Are security guards "Law enforcement"?

Seems to me arrest powers might come into play.  Might be other things as well.

Cannot wait to see what people here think.

Mike

Edited by molson

Sounds self explanatory to me. Is a guy watching a criminal inside a prison cell “enforcing” law?

Nope neither is the guy watching the security cameras all night. So my thoughts is no. It does really matter tho. Most of us have registered our make friends as ladies for matches before.

37 minutes ago, mwray said:

Sounds self explanatory to me. Is a guy watching a criminal inside a prison cell “enforcing” law?

Nope neither is the guy watching the security cameras all night. So my thoughts is no. It does really matter tho. Most of us have registered our make friends as ladies for matches before.

Federal Corrections Officers have arresting powers.  

Different states also have sheriffs deputies work jails.  

Not so easy an answer. 

Appendix A2 f - Law-  Full time law enforcement officers with arrest powers.

seems pretty straight forward. The hard part for me would be to tell them apart. They may all have a badge but do LEO carry an ID that states anything like “they have arrest powers”?

Edited by Sarge

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

Appendix A2 f - Law-  Full time law enforcement officers with arrest powers.

seems pretty straight forward. The hard part for me would be to tell them apart. They may all have a badge but do LEO carry an ID that states anything like “they have arrest powers”?

meh. just ask them. LEO's know whether they can arrest someone or not. If someone is willing to lie in order to 'win' the high LE plaque, then whatever.... let the real LEO's deal with it.

13 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

meh. just ask them. LEO's know whether they can arrest someone or not. If someone is willing to lie in order to 'win' the high LE plaque, then whatever.... let the real LEO's deal with it.

I understand that but it’s a fair question from a registration perspective.

It’s the same with military. The requirement there is they are on current active duty orders. In this day and age there are National Guardsmen who have deployed more than some active duty troops. They all have ID cards but don’t walk around with orders in their pockets. For these reasons I honor ID cards, thank them for their service and call it a day. 

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

I understand that but it’s a fair question from a registration perspective.

It’s the same with military. The requirement there is they are on current active duty orders. In this day and age there are National Guardsmen who have deployed more than some active duty troops. They all have ID cards but don’t walk around with orders in their pockets. For these reasons I honor ID cards, thank them for their service and call it a day. 

Good point.   I would consider National Guard "Military" on that basis.

Just a question that was floating around in my head.   I'm none of the above, so It doesn't really affect me, just curious how USPSA handled it.

Correctional officers are classified differently in different  states. In Ca. county correctional officers (also sometimes called jail deputies)  are enforcing laws while on duty. They don't have arrest powers when off duty. There are also fully sworn deputies working in jails.

As people have said not cut and dried at all.  I work for a large sheriffs office as a CO.  Under state law I am NOT a law enforcement officer in that I dont have power's of arrest but if you assault me when on duty its considered assault on a law enforcement officer same as cop on the street.  I am issued a gun that I qualify with and carry when out side of the jail in the court house or on transports hospitals and out of state extradition as a few examples.  Also my retirement plan is the state retirement plan for law enforcement.  

So having said all that in my case I am not law enforcement when it comes to USPSA.  Do I think its right no but it is what it is.  I spend more time with criminals then any cop on the street dose.

It is an interesting question and also one that is sensitive to some. I have heard of a District Attorney that registers as LEO. He is not a badge and gun carrying officer on the street arresting people. Rumor is that he claims to have put more people in prison than cops so that is what makes him eligible. I think it does matter, the same as if someone was posing as military and was not. I am proud of what I do and do my best to represent my brothers and sisters in blue when I’m shooting. You can ask for my badge and credentials any day to prove what I do. When I retire, I will no longer list as LEO.

I'm not even sure why we have an LEO catagory. We don't have a plumber or electrician catagory. As we know most cops would be classed D or C. Just because we carry a gun for a living doesn't add to our hit factors.  I wouldn't be heart broken if it was eliminated. Ladies, juniors, seniors I can see. 

16 hours ago, OPENB said:

I'm not even sure why we have an LEO catagory. We don't have a plumber or electrician catagory. As we know most cops would be classed D or C. Just because we carry a gun for a living doesn't add to our hit factors.  I wouldn't be heart broken if it was eliminated. Ladies, juniors, seniors I can see. 

I am with you.  Most of the time I don't register as LEO and most matches do not recognize it anyway.  The one time I did register as LEO was at Nationals and that was kinda cool as I got to identify who else was a copper and met some nice people from around the county and world.

18 hours ago, OPENB said:

No offense meant here. When was the last time a plumber ran into a building to stop someone from dying? How many electricians die everyday protecting people from the evil in the world? That would be like removing military as well. Then categories would only be for something you have no control over, ie gender and age.

everyone that started in this sport didn’t start at a GM. To say that most cops would be a C or D class is disrespectful and rude. Some of the best competition shooters in the world will not put on a badge and gun everyday to put their lives on the line. Why does a person carry a badge and gun theses days, for what, a belief, a hope that they can do some good, so they can be ambushed and killed? So their family can not have them around and only have memories? So they can work all night, just to spend all day in court? They can miss baseball practice, games and recitals and not see their family for days on end. Maybe those days they could be shooting to be better competitors are better spent teaching their kids how to be better people and spending all the time they can with them because they don’t know if tomorrow is the day they are called home. 

All I ask is that you think about more than just the performance on the range when talking about my brothers and sisters in blue.

Respectfully,

Chance

5 hours ago, Boudreaux78 said:

No offense meant here. When was the last time a plumber ran into a building to stop someone from dying? How many electricians die everyday protecting people from the evil in the world? That would be like removing military as well. Then categories would only be for something you have no control over, ie gender and age.

everyone that started in this sport didn’t start at a GM. To say that most cops would be a C or D class is disrespectful and rude. Some of the best competition shooters in the world will not put on a badge and gun everyday to put their lives on the line. Why does a person carry a badge and gun theses days, for what, a belief, a hope that they can do some good, so they can be ambushed and killed? So their family can not have them around and only have memories? So they can work all night, just to spend all day in court? They can miss baseball practice, games and recitals and not see their family for days on end. Maybe those days they could be shooting to be better competitors are better spent teaching their kids how to be better people and spending all the time they can with them because they don’t know if tomorrow is the day they are called home. 

All I ask is that you think about more than just the performance on the range when talking about my brothers and sisters in blue.

Respectfully,

Chance

You missed the post where I said I am a cop, for 27 years. And,  most cops are D & C class shooters. That's just a fact, not rude or otherwise. Maybe it's because what is tactically sound doesn't make for a high hit factor. But, for what I've seen for over a quarter century, most of us don't practice.  What I do on the job has absolutely no bearing on having a category.  Hell, firefighters do some of those things you described, they don't have a category. 

I guess I don't need to have a category to know what I've sacrificed. 

So a reserve LEO comes to his first USPSA match wearing his thigh rig and flash light attached.  As a CRO I ask him if he is a LEO.  His shooting buddy steps in and tells me he is a reserve officer.  So far I am ok.

I asked, "does he have the power to arrest?"  Then does he have the power to arrest anytime or only when he is on duty?

Both shooters are nice enough guys.  I want the new shooter to return.  The new shooter shoots the rest of the match.

However, I tell him,  under USPSA rules LEOs can wear their duty rigs but they have to be LEO with the power to arrest.  Next time, you have to abide by the rules.