Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking at gun (vs target) during draw stroke

wrx04

33 minutes ago, hankdiesel said:

I rest my forearm in the same position on the grip and kind of slide up that way...same idea, starting in the same position each and every time...

I was having difficulty adjusting to drawing from my new Open setup, until I started resting my forearm on the grip like this. Made my draws much more consistent.

I'll have to remember the thumb idea too.

The thumb technique without resting your arm on the grip works better for me.  With the inside of your forearm on the grip, as you raise your arm, your elbow and forearm have to go outward (laterally) and rotate a little in order to grab the gun.  This means as you're coming up, your arm is no longer touching the grip so you're losing your contact point.  If you start with your elbow already out and hand rotated slight with just your thumb touching the gun, your hand can come straight up to the grip.  It seems more natural to me, but everybody is different.  I'm sure a lot of members here have already fine tuned this far better than I have!

Edited by mvmojo

• 4 weeks later...

All of my dry fire practice has 10-20 minutes of draw practice. Focus on exact spot on target, draw from holster and align sights on gun with my line of sight at the exact spot on the target I'm focusing on. As sights align with my eye, focus shifts to front sight.

Took a while to get consistent at it, Steel Challenge helped a LOT.  Then switched to CO and had to start all over.  Running the dot out of the holster is getting better but not quite as good as with irons.

The only time I look at my gun after MR is when it is not in my holster, i.e. table start.