Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays & 45 Acp

Irishlad

I've been trying Clays with my 45 200 gr. SWC loads, for no other reason than I use it for shotgun, and noticed I was dropping beyond the maximum load.

I was dropping 4.5 grs instead of the published max of 4.3.

I just cracked my bbl lug(feet) in a 1911 and was wondering if just .2 grains over the max could generate enough pressure/force in a fast powder like Clays to cause this? No doubt the pressure was higher, but it seems it's too close to published data to be a hazard given variances on charges. Perhaps 2-3,000 rounds with clays. 14lb recoil spring, appeared to be a good bbl fit overall but I'm not a gunsmith.

Or "stuff happens" with a bbl with a bit over 30,000 rounds?

Anyway, I'm going back to WST, my machine has more trouble with Clays and never with WST.

Thanks

Laddie,

I would have expected to see overpressure signs along with damage if the load generated too much pressure. Sounds like an unlucky coincidence. :( You do need to be very careful when developing a max load though! :ph34r:

I dont think it was the Clays load. We have been using that load along with CLAYS under 230gr lrn with no problems with the same or lighter springs for at least 10 years. Hell, we used Clays with 200s back when the PF was 175, so I dont think it was overpressure from the ammo. It does leave something to be desired on metering with lower amounts. DougC

No "signs" of over pressure on the spent brass prior to the bbl problem.

My intention, and it was at one point, was to drop 4.1-4.2 grs.

I don't know where that 4.5 came from. ;)

But, I was getting 1 or 2 light loads per 150 loaded which never happened to me before with different powders.

I doubt that straight Clays had anything to do with your cracked barrel feet.

Rather, the likely reason your barrel feet cracked can be seen & explained HERE

<or cut & paste into your browser>

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=120227

With a Dillon 650, I used more than 13 lbs of Clays with that exact load - 4.5 to 4.6 grns of Clays in .45 ACP. It is great .45 powder that I will not hesitate to use again once I start loading .45 (generally switched to .40/Limited so have not done much with ACP). As for WST, its not sold around here; never tried it so can't recommend it. Clays & Dillon worked fine for me.

Regards, D.

Yes, good link on the 1911 forum.

I'm one of the "dummies" that asked a question on that thread since I was beginning to acquire some "marks or wear" below the "bowtie" as they call it.

But, not at the bottom of the bbl feet.

A week later, I think, my bbl is gone. :rolleyes:

I didn't think the problem was Clays, but just confirming since the timing was suspect. It meters very well in my shotshell reloader.

I'm up to about 10,000 rds of 4.3gns of Clays under a 200gn SWC from Masterblaster. Makes 130pf. 2 different Kimbers are the launchers - one an alloy frame has about 6000rds and the other a big old steel frame witha light rail (TLE/RL) has about 4000. I run 12lb springs with shok-buffs in both. I am also fooling around with some real heavy 45LC bullets (250gns). Very soft recoil, but I can see them fly so they are a little distracting.

0 problems. Hell, I don't even clean them very much, Clays burns very clean.

I surprised you've had metering problems. I've found Clays to meter very accurately. I've done some insane tests - groups of 25 charges, weigh & average. I get numbers between 4.285 and 4.33. These numbers always show as 4.3 on my Dillon e-scale.