Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics vs Slide Speed

NVairborne

So I've been shooting 9mm Minor for approximately 3 years: Prod, SS, and Limited/MG minor.  I've been loading 147's with the popular recipe of 3.2 gr of TG.  I recently switched to shooting some carry optics.  I ordered the Gray's Guns rod to use 2011/1911 recoil springs to tune it.  I really loved the feel of the 12# spring and it cycles perfectly.  I went out and shot a match with it and noticed my optic hitting the brass.  I went to the 11# spring and the brass isn't an issue but I hate how hard the slide comes back...now to my question.

I'm trying two things.  1)  Loading 124 gr to 130PF-ish in the hopes this speeds up my slide so the brass clears (with a 12# spring); 2)  trying out a 12# progressive spring in the hopes that the initial unlocking of the barrel/slide is faster accomplishing the same thing.  I've never loaded 124 grains, does it speed up the slide?  Will 12# progressive springs help as well?  Is this the right area of the forum for this question?  ;)  thanks!

Yes, 124s cycle the slide a litter harder.

Stop loading to 130, too. You will not be able to tell the difference between 130-132pf ammo and 135-136 pf anmo if you shoot them together.

But steel, and your ejection pattern just might. I load around 135 and never ever worry about chrono or dropping steel that’s anywhere near calibrated.

20 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Yes, 124s cycle the slide a litter harder.

Stop loading to 130, too. You will not be able to tell the difference between 130-132pf ammo and 135-136 pf anmo if you shoot them together.

But steel, and your ejection pattern just might. I load around 135 and never ever worry about chrono or dropping steel that’s anywhere near calibrated.

I'll give that a go...thanks.

You don't say what gun, but assuming a sig as gray guns seems oriented to them.

You may need to look at the ejector and extractor.

On 1911/2011 pattern firearms the ejector usually needs a set angle and a properly tuned extractor for best ejection patterns.

On Glocks Apex has a tuned extractor that does the trick.

Apex also carries parts for SIG's I believe, might check their website.

Either way the ejector/extractor is the place to look.