Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have a Netgear router/firewall/printserver that I've had for a few years now and been very happy with it.

Had a Linksys before that. It lasted about a year requiring the occasional power cycle before it went tango-uniform. I had never been impressed with Linksys products, and that was purchased to "give it another try," and as a result, to this day I'll pass on Linksys. <_<

Just to add further confusion and aggravation, soon after all the work, the cable modem died. As in, even the tech on the other end of the line could get it to respond when she queried it.

So I now have a new cable modem. (And all the gyraitons that went into opening the CD, downloading the software, calling support, etc.)

I haven't plugged it into the old router yet. I plan to get some work done first, then start the computer work festivities.

Shooter Grrl, any time you want to send me a dependable router, please do so.

My DLS provider here in the Atltanta area is Bellsouth and the router they provided for the actual internet gateway is a Westell. I had not heard of it before it was installed but, (knock on wood) it has not skipped a beat.

I also added a Linksys Wireless HUB/router to allow use of the connection by multiple devices. I have been using both directly connected and wireless machines for a number of years all working without any problem.

Carlos

Yep, that's my exact configuration, too.

I had an older Linksys (before Cisco bought them) that I discovered was corrupting data! I found the problem when uploading a video to my web site and discovered that it wouldn't play. With some troubleshooting, I found the large file was getting corrupted somehow. I started taking traces with Etherreal and through the process of elimination discovered the Linksys was the culprit. :blink: I work as a systems test engineer and it's fairly rare to see a switch or router mangle data and throw it out the other side with a good CRC. Totally disgusting. That ain't something you want to see if you're doing some online banking! :o Interestingly, I found a newer firmware version on their site and the problem went away. No such problem was documented anywhere that I could find. Not suprising as data corruptions are very hush-hush in the industry. I'm currently running a Cisco Linksys with built-in wireless without issue.

• 3 weeks later...