Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS lockout die not locking

I have an RCBS lock out die on my XL650. It worked well for a while but now it seems it will not lock up the press anymore on a double charge or no charge. I believe I have set it up properly. I placed the powder in the case and twisted the spindle until the white ring on the spindle is flush even with the top of the die when the die sits on a charged case. When I screw the die into the tool head, whenever the case is correctly charged, the ring on the die is even with the top of the die, so it sounds like it is set up correctly.

Any idea what I can do to get it to work correctly again. Please don't suggest the Dillon powder checker, I already had one and sold it to buy the RCBS one, which I like better (when it is working).

2 hours ago, Alderleet said:

it sounds like your return spring isnt doing its job (likely brass shmutz keeping it jammed) so its keeping the collar and bearings in alignment.

pull it apart and clean it

I never was able to get the clip off like he shows at :40 of the video. I'd hate to even think about trying to get it back on

On 6/7/2018 at 12:41 PM, ExStreetWalker said:

I set the die when it's mounted in the press.  I have found that the white ring is meaningless.  I adjust the die till it works on the press.  Also it might need to be cleaned.

How do you know which way to turn the spindle, if you adjust it while on the press?