Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15 upper receiver types and accuracy

I'm fairly new to AR building and was wondering what to look for when my goal is to design an accuracy-focused upper (goal is sub MOA). 

Specifically, I've read that some upper receivers that have beefier barrel nut areas (such as the Seekins) could potentially lead to grater accuracy because it leads to less flex when loading on a bipod. But how significant is this? Would I be better served by putting my funds towards a higher quality barrel?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned many different ARs built by different companies. A mil- spec upper is capable of sub MOA. There are a few manufacturers that have proprietary barrel attachment systems and they may be better, I can't comment on that because I have not used any of them. I do have rifles made by JP, Armalite, Colt and Rock River that have printed groups much smaller than one inch with regular barrel attaching methods. I believe that most any AR with a quality barrel and ammunition should achieve sub MOA.

if there is something that you like from one of the companies that use proprietary barrel attachment methods, go for it. 

Hurley