Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stressfire

Clay1

I won a certificate to attend a two day Stressfire class. I'm not all that familiar with the class and wanted to hear your opinions on the class. Bluntly, I would much prefer a class with Max or Matt Burkett or someone more specifically oriented to gun games. I'm asking because if you think it is worthwhile I will keep and go to the class otherwise it might end up on ebay and I buy ammo with the money.

Thanks,

Rick

If its a LFI/Ayoob Stressfire class, it'd probably be worth it from a general defensive perspective, from what I've heard..... its not tailored to sport shooting, but a good class... but if its not offered by LFI, but by someone who's just read his book, I'd think twice.... :huh:

And if your goal is more competitive oriented training, sell it on Ebay and go to one of the better IPSC shooter's class would be my advice, FWIW.

I took this class earlier this year, with Ayoob, had a good time and learned some good things. Stressfire 1 is directed at a newer shooter with a lot of time spent on fundamentals, which could be great for getting back to the basics for a weekend. The class is about shooting better under stress, which could help you out in a stressfull match situation, but geared toward defensive shooting. You will learn a lot about what a body does and why it does that under stress and firing a handgun, which will help you better understand shooting all that better. I say take the class, it's free, you will most likely pick up some new things to help you out.

Stressfire is the first half (the shooting half) of LFI I. This one is taught by David Maglio assisted by firearms training associates Certified LFI staff Instructors. www.firearmstrng.com is there web site out of Fond du Lac, Wis. Ayoob teaches the second half of LFI I at this location: the "judicious use of deadly force".

I have it up for sale for $250 for the $350 course. If I sell it, I will buy ammo, if I don't sell it I will go the class and see what happens.

Either way it won't be a bad thing. Again, it was better to pick this from the prize table than a hat. ;)

Rick

I know those guys from Firearms Training Associates and they do a pretty good job. The class might be kind of basic for your needs, but structured training is a good thing and trigger time is always worthwile.

Take it with the expectation of also taking the legal class with Massad Ayoob. The combination of classes will result in your LFI-1 certification, which is worthwhile.

It might even be a better idea to take Stressfire with another handgun that you are less familiar with . . . if you normally shoot an autoloader, shoot Stressfire with a revolver. There is a benefit to a little bit of cross training when it comes to shooting skills.

Min. 500 rounds in two days. Can't imagine taking the class with a snubby 357 or anything like that. I'll shoot it with my G34 and do it comfortably.

No one has shown an interest at $100 off the list price. It was like taking the class and someone throwning in a case of 9mm ammo for free. Looks like I will be taking the class myself.

Thanks for the words of encouragement on the class guys. If nothing else I get to hang around some more people that have similar beliefs and get to go bang for a couple of days. Sounds like fun.

Rick