Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Similar powder to 9mm PMC ammo

I normally reload for my PCC but, the other day, I was feeling lazy and picked up some 9mm 115gr PMC to practice with.  The accuracy was excellent and the recoil impulse was nearly non-existent.  The only problem was that the rifle felt "sluggish" but, as an "oh shoot I forgot to reload and now I gotta pick up some ammo at Walmart before the match" it was not a bad choice. However, this got me thinking... Is the sluggish recoil impulse typical when shooting slow-burning powders in a PCC?  

I ask because this was a far departure from what I am used to when loading with Titegroup.  I have never used a slow-burning powder when loading for PCC but I would have expected it to produce more recoil; a sensation of a "long push" instead of the quick "snap" that I get with TG.

Having tried WST, 231 and WSF, the slower WSF does seem slower recoil impulse as compared to the faster WST. I like the recoil feel on 115s and WSF and 231 better than 135s with faster WST. I recently put a 2 port comp on 16” barrel and it seemed to tame the dot a little. I have some slower AA#7 and CFE Pistol powder that I’m going to try with 115s. Running a reduced rifle spring feels more sluggish than running 308 carbine spring.  I’ll do some

more testing and let you know how it goes. 

Poongsan ( The cartridge manufacturer for PMC ammo,. South Korea) indicates their own proprietary ball powder types.  They list their 9mm  @ 1125fps +- 50 @ 15yds so you could shoot for the range with another popular pistol powder...

ammo-catalogue.pdf

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by NoSteel