Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Importing address book

I was trying to help a friend reconfigure a machine today... Couldn't easily figure out how to get his Netscape 4.7 address book into  OE 5.0. I exported the contacts from Netscape but then OE wouldn't recognize the file. I pretty sure I've done this... but just became tired of thinking about it.

;)

Hi Brian,

When you do an address export from Netscape, you get a .ldif file, which will not import into Outlook Express (at least I have not been able to get it to work in the past).

Outlook Express will do an import from other applications, and Netscape 4.0 through 4.75 are supported. If I remember correctly (it has been a while since I have done this), this is how it goes.

Go to the File menu and select Import. Then check the box to import from another application. Select Netscape 4.0 (and later). Then select the items you wish to import. If there is a valid Netscape User Profile (in the Netscape preferences folder in system folder/preferences), then it should just do the job.

I did the same move about three years ago from Netscape 4.73 into MS Entourage (which is basically a bigger version of Outlook Express that comes with Office 2001), and everything worked perfectly on the import.

Good luck,

(Edited by George at 9:18 pm on Jan. 22, 2003)

Hmmmm!

Now you've really got me thinking about this. I am just going to have to boot one of my machines back into 9 and check this out.

I will report back after I beat my head flat against the Big MS.

Regards,