Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

We can rebuild him, we have the technology.

But do we want to?  And by "him", I mean "it", and by "it" I mean by PCC upper.  Recently pulled my 9mm AR out of the safe where it sat well oiled but otherwise untouched for about 10 years. 

Current setup: ~15 year old RRA upper that I purchased  used about 12 years ago.  Has heavy and ugly 15" YHM tube and unramped RRA bolt.

What I've already done: Replaced the Doublestar 223 lower/RRA magblock setup in favor of a QC10 Colt pattern lower with Minimalist stock, 6.4 oz 9mm buffer and HiperFire 243G trigger.  

What I need help with: I was originally going to rebuild the upper with a KVP 16" barrel and a KVP bolt and Matrix Foxtrot handguard,  Reviews point to overall good quality and value.  Digging for info on the handguard led me to Foxtrot Mike uppers and I see that the Colt pattern uppers just hit Brownell's yesterday (still out of stock). 

Would I be better off spending ~$400 to build a new mostly KVP upper or ~$450 on a Foxtrot Mike side charger and hope that they got the Colt pattern stuff right?

If it matters, the only "hard" use this rig will see is the occasional club level Steel Challenge match.. Most of it's life will be spent plinking at plates and cans with my buddies.

Edited by biggulp
7 hours ago, biggulp said:

But do we want to?  And by "him", I mean "it", and by "it" I mean by PCC upper.  Recently pulled my 9mm AR out of the safe where it sat well oiled but otherwise untouched for about 10 years. 

Current setup: ~15 year old RRA upper that I purchased  used about 12 years ago.  Has heavy and ugly 15" YHM tube and unramped RRA bolt.

What I've already done: Replaced the Doublestar 223 lower/RRA magblock setup in favor of a QC10 Colt pattern lower with Minimalist stock, 6.4 oz 9mm buffer and HiperFire 243G trigger.  

What I need help with: I was originally going to rebuild the upper with a KVP 16" barrel and a KVP bolt and Matrix Foxtrot handguard,  Reviews point to overall good quality and value.  Digging for info on the handguard led me to Foxtrot Mike uppers and I see that the Colt pattern uppers just hit Brownell's yesterday (still out of stock). 

Would I be better off spending ~$400 to build a new mostly KVP upper or ~$450 on a Foxtrot Mike side charger and hope that they got the Colt pattern stuff right?

If it matters, the only "hard" use this rig will see is the occasional club level Steel Challenge match.. Most of it's life will be spent plinking at plates and cans with my buddies.

Be prepared that after shooting a few steel challenge matches you will be shooting tin cans a lot less and shooting a lot more steel challenge matches!