Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Self evaluation with pov video

scroadkill

hey all - I've begun capturing my stages with a pov hat-cam, editing and posting video - now I'm thinking how to I critique myself.
The areas that come to my mind are:
--------------------------------
Stage planning - was this the best plan I could come up with given my ability, strengths and weaknesses
Stage plan execution - did I execute the stage according to plan
Reloads - did I work in reloads efficiently
Round count - did I use my mag capacity wisely

Entry/Exit - did I take advantage of entry and exit targets
Momentum - did I use my momentum into positions wisely
Gun up on entry - did I keep my gun up, in work space, and on target as I enter positions
Shooting on move - did I take good advantage of opportunities to take targets on the move
Movement between positions - did I move quickly position to position
Transitions - did I drive my eyes and gun from target to target
Splits - does the cadence on pairs make sense
Accuracy - did I get my hits (%A's)
Gear - did the gear all work
What needs practice most
---------------------------------------------
please critique/contribute

I don't think hat-cams are very good for video analysis. It will work for some of the points you listed, but a third person view of your entire body during the stage is by far the best analytical tool when it comes to video. As far as critiquing yourself, I think the best method for this is comparing what you visualized your execution of the stage to be compared with what you actually did. What you visualize should be your ideal match pace run under the circumstances at your current skill level. The more detailed your visualization the better. You should be able to see in your mind every single thing that will happen in the stage. When you shoot, If you're paying attention, you should then notice all the little things that did not go exactly the way you visualized. If your focus is really dialed in here you'll notice things you do that are just a little off as you shoot that are invisible in video. Keep a notebook in your range bag and after each stage just note the things that did not go as cleanly as you visualized them going. From that list you should be able to formulate a large majority of your practice until the next match.

A small little tripid for your phone with legs that can be bent and wrapped around one of the bay’s walls or stood up on a barrel is far more useful.

In most stages you can get all the movment in video, or the place where you know youre most likely to do something technically challenging.

Or have a buddy film you. First person video is great for “did I pull off that target early,” “how did that malfunction happen” and not much else.

Edited by MemphisMechanic