Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving To Leavenworth Ks

Look up Mill Creek Shooters. The range is on the West side of Kansas City. They have a monthly pistol match in the mornings, and I believe they often shoot Rifle/Shotgun in the afternoon.

There are also a number of other clubs around the KC area that shoot USPSA. THat's pretty close to Leavenworth.

Mill Creek holds something similar to 3-Gun, but Cap City does not. Cap City will occasionally set up a rifle or shotgun side match.

Welcome to the area Will. If you make it to Mill Creek next month, the club president will point you out (in a nice way) as a new-to-the-club shooter. If I am there (I plan on it now) I will come say hello.

Bill

We try and let everyone at Millcreek know when we have a guest or new shooter join us. It seems to help overcome anyone feeling lost. There are quite a few folks that join us from Leavenworth, and most months have rifle and shotgun stages in the afternoon.

If you want to shot only [pistol, we also have a couple of indoor groups: one is the Bullet Hole on Friday nights, and the other is at The Armory, in Kearney MO on Tuesdays.

Look forward to seeing you in the area.

JJH

Will, Congrats on being selected for CGSC. I started my IPSC shooting while assigned to TRAC at Ft Leavenworth in the late 1980's. Shot The Bullethole almost every Friday night and Mill Creek monthly. Both good clubs and I know a lot of the guys I knew then are still shooting. I think we had three bays in the basement at The Bullethole and it was sure good to have a IPSC match indoors during the frigid winter months. Good luck. Tom Iten.

Will,

Some pretty good shooting around the area - I graduated CGSC 2 years ago and am at Hood now.

Don't remember specific instructions on how to get to "The Bullethole", but shot there several times - it's an indoor range so the lead in the air can get a little overpowering; lighting was pretty bad too - had trouble even seeing my sights. Don't know - might be better now.

Can't say enought good stuff about the guys at Millcreek and Capital City Gun Club. One of the CGSC faculty members (if he is still there), is really into IPSC - his name is LTC D'echert (think I spelled that right). Hook up with him and he'll show you around - we rode to several matches together when I was there.

Two pieces of advice for you.

First, check out the Starlight Theater down in Kansas City - they do several open-air plays throughout the Summer and into the Fall (I'm by no means a cultured guy, but Les Miserables was outstanding and the wife really enjoyed it).

Second, if you decide to live on post - prepare your wife for the crappiest housing you've ever seen. Our quarters were smaller and more run-down than any other we've ever had before. Can't ask for better neighbors though.

Aside from that, enjoy your "year off" - we'll see you back in the "real Army" next year.

Doug

cottyw,

I just moved away from the KC area and can tell you that it is really nice shootin if you don't mind to travel a bit.

The Bullet Hole is just North of Shawnee Mission Parkway on Robinson Street.

Other good clubs to check out:

- Air Capital Practical Shooters , near Wichita shoots 3-gun every 2nd Saturday : http://www.geocities.com/wdpc@prodigy.net/acshooters.html

- Ark City Gun Club shoots 3-gun on the 4th Saturday of each Month, I think.

- Oklahoma City Gun Club shoots 3-gun every 5th Sunday (of those Months that have 5 Sundays).

I shot very little 3-gun but of the close clubs Ark City, Oklahoma City and Air Capital are great! You may be able to sort the guys at Mill Creek and Capital City out if you've got lots of 3-gun experience.

Good Luck & Great Shooting! And say Hi to my good buddy CD (Cornell-d' Echert, Blaise) for me :)

Brett

Will,

I shot at Capital City Practical Shooters and Mill Creek when I was in Leavenworth for CAS3. Great clubs. Capital City was only doing shotgun/rifle side matches when I was there, but that may have changed now. I did not have a chance to shoot 3-gun at Mill Creek, but pistol is good-to-go. The folks at both clubs are super friendly and willing to help out the "new guy" on the block. Heck, one of the guys at Cap City let me shoot his brand new Benelli for the shotgun side match. I look forward to getting back there next month as I PCS out of Fort Irwin, CA. Maybe we'll run into each other.

Stephen