Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster Position For 3-gun

If the rules allowed you to carry your holster in either one of two positions - behind the point of the hip on the strong side, or in front of the hip with the muzzle pointed forward also on the strong side - which would you prefer and why?

My holster is adjustable and I find that I can make easy .9 second dry fire draws when I adjust the holster with the muzzle angled forward and have it on my belt in front of the point of the hip vs. 1.1 second draws when I have the holster straight up and down and carried on the belt behind the point of the hip.

The problem comes from a strong side shoulder injury that causes some movement difficulty. I can make the draws but it is a little slower.

My question is in regards to 3-gun shooting. My draw would be faster from in front of the hip, but how much will the gun get in the way when using the shotgun and rifle during a course of fire. Thus far in my 3-gun competitions I have never had the pleasure of having to carry more than one weapon at a time during a course of fire.

Just curious as to the recomendations of the more experianced.

Thanks in advance.

Ditto Benny.... put it where you need it.

In a three gun match probaly less than 1/3 of the stages will involve the HG at all and not all of them will necessarily involve drawing while the clock is running. If the stage designer puts you in a chair, or laying down, or with the gun on a table your 10ths get swallowed up. Fretting over a couple 10ths of a seconds of draw time during the match doesnt make sense when a little practice with your SG reloads can easily save you 10's of seconds during a match. If your SG reloads are wired, try practicing with the intent of extending out the range you can double tap paper with your rifle; again there's more than 10th to be saved there.

There are bigger fish to fry in 3-g than the handgun draw...... which brings me back to the thing about getting rid of the race holsters in multi.... ;)

Depends on whether you are talkin' 3 gun, or multi-gun. In USPSA type 3 gun, you might just face a straightup pistol stage, or two where a couple tenths may be all that separates you from your peers, but, so what, it evens out across 8+ stages.

In typical multi-gun stages where the use of multiple firearms within a stage occurs, the tenths at play here mean nothing compared to the average stage run-times and HF's in this type of stage. The ability to retain the pistol is very important. The ability to do a lighning fast presentation in comparison to a pretty darn fast one is not.

--

Regards,

Good points. Thanks guys.

This holster is the new one Blackhawk put out, QBC I think. Similar to the Blade-Tech style holster. Very secure, not a race type holster. It is adjustable and I found the one position was much more comfortable, but I could see where problems may come up when getting in weird positions and such.

I have jumped fences, and ran sprints with the holster and the (unloaded at the time) weapon stayed secure in the holster no matter which position I had it in.

One position is just more comfortable than the other.

• 3 weeks later...

Sgt... (scenario from Kyle's last match) find 3 Ford Tempos... line them up ... start behind the wheel, end up outside the final one crosssing thru them in turn with some form of a long gun in your hand..I'm old and overweight... point of the hip works the best for me... as the other guys have said the pistol draw is negligent in 3gun compared to a shotgun reload..I'm firmly convinced that the KISS principle rules 3 gun... regards Les