Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bolt, buffer, and springs......

In my opinion you should not use the bolt without it's weight. Safety is always the number one priority here. 

My experience, so far, points to a bolt/buffer weight of 20 to 20 and 1/2 ounces when using the 124 grain bullet at PF 130 out of a 16 inch barrel. 

With Tim's bolt (weight back in) you'll need a 5 and 1/2 to 6 ounce buffer. A 6 ounce buffer with a KV bolt (14 and 1/2 ounces) is what I'm now using and it works very well. Although his recoil system is fine I prefer a Sprinco (red) spring, and that's all. The 6 ounce buffer does not require a spacer.

Should you use a 147 grain bullet add at least another 1/2 ounce to the buffer weight. If you use the 115 grain bullet then subtract 1/2 an ounce. 

Primary Arms is a good place for buffers of various weights, and Blitzkrieg has all the springs you'll need.

Remember, this is my approach to a workable PCC. Since there is more than one way to defur a feline, others here may look at things differently.

Edited by MikieM

All of you are a wealth of knowledge and worthy of recognition in the jedi order.  With that being said, I just built a dedicated Steel Challenge PCC.  My first PCC was 8 lbs.  My new PCC is 5lbs.  I too experimented with bolt/buffer/spring to find what was consistent for me. I ended up with the weight out of the Taccom Bolt, Taccom 2 stage buffer with supplied spring.  Remember Steel challenge is one shot on steel, not double taps so it's a different animal when it comes to recoil.  I'm also using 112pf loads out of my Taccom ULW barrel.  the dot movement is minimal (only slightly up).  I also use a strong shoulder hold.  Experimentation is what makes this so much fun.  Thank you for all of your testing, you made it easier on our wallets.