Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Archery: Recurve Bows

Don't ask me why, but my buddy and I got on the subject of archery today and now I've got an itch to get a recurve bow.  Anybody in Benosville shot recurves much?  Any advice?  I know how to buy a compound, but am not sure of what to look for in a recurve.  I'm partial to Martin bows and am looking at the Hatfield, the Mamba, or maybe the target bow.

Whaddaya think?

It has been a while since I have shot my recurve.I have an Archery Traditions/Dan Quillion takedown.First you will need at least 10lbs less draw weight than you shoot with a compound.If you want speed look for one that has renforced tips to take a fast flight string.You will want to learn to shoot instinctly,Visualize the flight of the arrow and burn a mental hole in the spot you want to hit.I would suggest starting with a 45 or 50 lb bow   you are holding all the weight as you go through the aiming proccess.I also would suggest starting with one of the lower priced models then if you decide not to shoot it much you won't be stuck with a $400 stick.Hope this helps.Also there is a magazine called Traditional Archery or Hunter that is on newsstands every where,I got a lot of tips out of it.

do you already have a compound bow?  If you don't have one, I had a bow hunting buddy tell me that it is easier to learn to shoot a bow with wheels than without.  He also told me that if the indians would have had compound bows when the pilgrims arrived, the indians would still own this country...

Yes, I do have a compound that I've been shooting since I was sixteen.  But, I'd like to learn to shoot a traditional for the same reason I like shooting Production/Limited:  there's something satisfying about learning to do it the old fashioned way.