Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Spring Cutting

americanbrosinarms

I know this is probably a topic that has been covered but the "Frequently Asked Questions" but the link doesn't work.

I am just starting to shoot Single Stack USPSA and have an Akai Single Stack 40 running a 170 pf load that has the stroked system. I am looking at starting to mess with the recoil spring and playing with load data. I have seen that people recommend that the recoil spring need to be cut to length. The information that I have read say you should cut the recoil spring until the recoil spring cup contacts the back of guide rod without spring bind.

Looking for a little some advice from guys that have done this or run something similar I cut a spare 14# recoil spring that I had laying until the recoil spring was able to compress and now it seem like there isn't enough to force the slide to seat the round from slide lock (I know that you should slingshot it or whatever) but I want it to run either way. 

I own Akai stroked guns

Take your slide off put the new spring in and with your thumb/s push the guide rod forward to compress it.

Make sure it fully compresses, test the stroke without the spring first if you need to be able to tell for sure.

That way you can tell if the guide rod is going all the way forward

Shay will generally say a 13lbs spring with 3 coils cut off is the "general" rule (or at least he did when I got my first one)

Currently I'm cutting about 2 to 21/4 coils off mine

Edited by jcc7x7

2 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

I own Akai stroked guns

Take your slide off put the new spring in and with your thumb/s push the guide rod forward to compress it.

Make sure it fully compresses, test the stroke without the spring first if you need to be able to tell for sure.

That way you can tell if the guide rod is going all the way forward

Shay will generally say a 13lbs spring with 3 coils cut off is the "general" rule (or at least he did when I got my first one)

Currently I'm cutting about 2 to 21/4 coils off mine

This worked perfect used a 12.5# spring I purchased with some mags off the forums!