Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI magazines

Chris1911

It looks like STI no longer make a 9 mm specific 2011 magazine? 9 mm and 38 super sharing the same magazine? The older 9 mm magazines have a spacer. I have seen many failures with shooters running 9 mm through  38 super magazines. Do I have to make my own spacers and change out the followers now?

Edited by Chris1911

26 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I've been running the new style STI magazines for my 9mm IDPA gun for a little over 6 months.  Other than the occasional failure to lock the slide back, they have been absolutely reliable.  I can't say the same thing for the new style 40 mags.......

Thanks for that info. I guess everyone must be doing the same however it worries me that spacers were necessary before but are not necessary now. I use my 9 mm 2011 for Speed Challenge. Jams are not a fun option.

I've been running the new style STI magazines for my 9mm IDPA gun for a little over 6 months.  Other than the occasional failure to lock the slide back, they have been absolutely reliable.  I can't say the same thing for the new style 40 mags.......

I can.... zero problems with STI gen 2 in .40.
Lots of nose dives with MBX no matter what I tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the spacers were necessary because of the 2 ribs that run down each side of the tube. without the spacer the bullet nose would get caught up on the forward most rib. some got around that by loading super long and most others ran a spacer to move the round forward a little in the tube.

the SV, SPS, MBX and new STI tubes don't need the spacer as instead of the 2 vertical ribs they have one big on each side (copied from the original design SVI mags). 

if setup properly all those tubes (SV, SPS, MBX and new STI) should run 9mm just fine. 

On 2/10/2018 at 7:02 PM, Scott Steele said:

I can.... zero problems with STI gen 2 in .40.
Lots of nose dives with MBX no matter what I tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Running them bone stock, the 40 mags would lose the last round causing a live round to stove pipe.  I added Grams spring/follower kits and the problem was solved.  Not enough spring tension I guess.

On 2/16/2018 at 8:00 AM, RangerTrace said:

Running them bone stock, the 40 mags would lose the last round causing a live round to stove pipe.  I added Grams spring/follower kits and the problem was solved.  Not enough spring tension I guess.

I run TTI guts and pads.... no problems.