Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Base Pads For Which Sti Mags?

Urbanti

Newbie question not explicitly covered in previous posts I have read:

STI edge in .40 for limited/limited 10 with 120mm and 140mm sti stock magazines - having punctured my fingertip lots trying to reassemble stock mags with stock base pads, I want to go to an aftermarket "no fuss" base pad like the dawsons I see guys using at matches.

I am confused about the +0,+1,+2 configurations, don't want to inadvertently make my mags illegal for limited.

Please tell me how to determine which "easy on, easy off" magazine base pads that fit sti magazine tubes are legal on my 120, 140mm magazines...

thanks in advance for any suggestions

Tim

Tim-

Did you shoot at Thurmont in the AM relay on Sunday? Someone asked me this question yesterday at match registration.

For Limited Legal magazines, get the Dawson +1 basepads. They have the sliding gate and are "easy on, easy off". The Grams basepads need a little screwdriver to pull out the retaining pin. Get the 2.5mm if you want to just put them on, or the 4mm if you want to tinker with them to fit in the gauge.

I have the +2 Dawsons on my open mags and there is no way they will go on a Limited mag and make it into the gauge.

I have a gauge if you shoot at Thurmont, I'll bring it and you can see what all the fuss is trying to get the mag into the gauge.

Cheers,

Kirk

Tim-

Did you shoot at Thurmont in the AM relay on Sunday? Someone asked me this question yesterday at match registration.

Good morning, Kirk. Thanks for the prompt response.

I shot at Thurmont yesterday, and I think I may be the person who asked the question. At that time I didn't understand the difference between legal/illegal for Limited. Only after I started shopping on-line did I run into the Monty Python "North American or European" choice quandry :o

Thanks again,

Tim

If you're going to dry fire a lot or shoot at a range with concrete floors, then you may want to look at the Grams Engineering

His warranty is the best in the business...If you break it, he'll replace it. They are made out of some super hard plastic, maybe derlin?????

The Dawson Precision are the easiest to get on and off. They're great between stages, especially when you drop them in the mud. Like yesterday. I was cleaning 2 mags on each stage. However, I practice at an indoor range with a concrete floor and I've broken at least one and had to work on an other to get the gate working again.

Here are the RESULTS from the basepad poll.

You can't go wrong with either decision.

Major problem - a number of my mags are so-called "carry mags" 120mm long.

The Grams and Dawson magazines apparently do not fit such 120mm magazines.

Any suggestions as to how I can obtain easy on /easy off, prefereably + something, magazine base pads would be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks again

Tim

I had to call Dawson about something else and they confirmed what I had thought. You can put the basepads on the carry mags, but they will not fit in a gun that has a magwell on it.

Unfortunately, you're kinda screwed. :( You may want to post the carry mags in the classifieds and then buy some 140mm mags and put some basepads on them. You have something to practice with, but for competition, you'll need some 140mm mags. You could get away with 3-140's but 4 is ideal.

Don't pay any attention to those of us who have a bag full of magazines. It's just not necessary. I bought 6 for L-10 and steel matches. Regular matches I just don't need that many.

• 1 month later...