Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reduced Targest

RayKu

Recently purchased some dry fire practice targets that are 1/4 the size of official IPSC targets. Now I am a math idiot so does anyone know how to approximate/estimate distance (ie. 1 foot = 3 yards, etc.) for targets of this size?

Thanks in advance.

3' from the reduced target will be the same as 12' from a full size target. Divide the distance to a real target by four to get the ratio distance to the reduced target (one quarter). One foot = four feet. One yard = 4 yards. Math 101, man!

• 1 month later...
No problemo. You are welcome.

What you need to do is measure a linear distance (not the area). For example, how wide is the A zone? If the A zone on the miniature is 3 inches, then the "representative" distance will be twice a regular-size target (one with an A zone that is 6 inches wide) placed at that distance. It is the ratio of the regular size linear measurement with the same linear measurement of the miniature.

It just so happens that if the linear measure is a 2:1 ratio, the area is 4:1. But that isn't the same as measuring distance (linear) to the targets.

So, in plain speak. A miniature target at 10 yards appears to be the same size as a regular target at 20 yards (assuming the 2:1 linear ratio applies).

• 5 years later...

In an upcoming match, I will be shooting M9 sillouette targets @ 600, 300 & 200 yards.

I have a 200 yard range to practice on so If my math 101 is correct, I do a 1/3 and a 2/3 reduction.

That means I want to make a 1/3 scale reduction for 600 and a 2/3 reduction for 300

The M9 aiming black is 20 X 40.

600 yard reduced should = 6.667" x 13.333"

300 yard reduced should = 13.34" x 26.68"

and scoring rings should be reduced accordingly.

Do you math majors concur?