Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blending Dawson Small Grip Flat Mainspring Housing

jkcolo22

I have an STI DVC Limited .40.  After moving from an SA XDm 5.25", I've struggled getting the sights to come up quickly on the DVC.  I have small-medium sized hands and I'm convinced it's the wider grip profile of the 2011 that I am struggling with.  I just ordered a Dawson heavy steel small grip flat MSH from Shooters Connection.  I'm hoping this will help.  I understand I will need to blend the polymer grip to the new MSH. What should I use to blend the grip?  I have a diamond file from the DP Mag Tuning Kit, a small (probably too small) metal/deburring file set, and a Dremel. Also a few larger (probably too large) woodworking and metalworking files. Any pictures or advice is greatly appreciated! 

Sorry if this has been asked and answered.  I searched and couldn't find anything.

For anyone interested in doing this, it was pretty easy.  There were just a few spots that needed to be blended.  I marked with a felt tip marker and used the diamond file from the Dawson Mag Tuning Kit.

Now I have to figure out what I did wrong during reassembly as there is no tension on my hammer (will fall forward, but no tension).  I either put something back together wrong or I need to file down the ledges on the MSH that fit into the grip safety (the MSH comes with instructions for this).

14 minutes ago, wgj3 said:

You put it back together incorrectly. Gotta get the strut in the correct location on top of MSH cap with MS installed correctly and have sear spring in correct orientation as well.

Thank you. Is it possible to get the sear spring in the wrong orientation if I didn't remove it? I only removed the bottom pin that holds the MS/grip safety, the safety, the MSH, the leaf spring, and the grip safety.  I think I put the leaf spring back in correctly, but after re-watching a video, I'm not sure I kept the hammer forward when I lined up the hammer strike with the MSH.

Edited by jkcolo22

It (sear/leaf spring) can still jump out of its notch in the lower part of the grip and more importantly, end up not resting on the proper points in the fire control assembly. And, the free end of that hammer strut has to be in the recess on top of the MS cap.

1 minute ago, wgj3 said:

It (sear/leaf spring) can still jump out of its notch in the lower part of the grip and more importantly, end up not resting on the proper points in the fire control assembly. And, the free end of that hammer strut has to be in the recess on top of the MS cap.

Awesome.  Thank you for the help.

Oh boy... Well this is embarrassing but if it helps someone else then I guess it's worth it.  If you are swapping out your MSH, don't forget to tap out the tiny pin in your old MSH and move the mainspring assembly to your new MSH before installation... :unsure: 1911 learning curve....

Oh... and by the way.... Did some dry fire practice last night.  Gun feels much better/more natural in my hand now and sights come right up.  Loving this modification and learned a few things about how my gun works along the way.  Highly recommended for anyone with small/small-medium hands.

Just switched to the 2011 platform myself and i also have smaller hands.

Trying to follow your post, you are switching out the rear msh plate on back 0f grip to get a better feel. Is this correct?    What did you replace it with

Just switched to the 2011 platform myself and i also have smaller hands.
Trying to follow your post, you are switching out the rear msh plate on back 0f grip to get a better feel. Is this correct?    What did you replace it with

Correct. This: https://dawsonprecision.com/mainspring-housings-sti-2011-heavy-steel-by-dawson-precision/
in the small grip flat model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might find that is overkill once you swap the msh.  A full grip reduction is also outside my personal comfort level, but more power to you! If you screw up your grip or decide you don't want to do it yourself, check out https://www.extremeshooters.com/ .  They do a full reduction on all their grips with a double undercut and various stippling (so no grip tape needed).