Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1 And 1 Drills

EricW

And the timer says....

For a sold 2 Alpha, I can slide in under 2.2 pretty easily. If I push harder, I can squeak a Charlie-Alpha or Charlie Charlie under 1.7 - but I don't think that's building good habits. I'll settle for a solid 2.2 today - which actually feels MUCH more comfortable than it did last year. My mechanics have definitely improved.

O.K.....now I'm really thinking that I suck bad. What would be a good time for this drill shooting Glock production. Holster is a high and tight Kydex with mags at the point of hip.

My best time is 2.54 What should "B" class prod. be? TIA

DaG

DaG:

There isn't but a couple of tenths of a second difference for me on this drill between a Production set-up and my Limited or Open rigs. A good time is any time that is faster than your previous par time. It's all about improvement.

Sometimes I really wonder the value of trying to associate par times on drills like this with a classification. There are shooters on this forum who have great reactions and lightening fast hand speed cranking out times on speed drills that I can not even begin to comprehend. They are as fast as any of the big dogs, if not faster, but they are a long way from M or GM. Then there are guys in M class who have shot a dozen classifiers through the years at 95% or better with a 1.2 draw and a 1.3-1.5 second reload. Go figure.

To answer your question directly, I would think with some practice and a little refinement in technique a "B" class shooter could get down to a 2.5 second par time (as opposed to best time) pretty easily. As you approach 2 seconds total time, things get a bit tougher. FWIW, 2 seconds is actually pretty fast.

Edited by Ron Ankeny

O.K.....now I'm really thinking that I suck bad. What would be a good time for this drill shooting Glock production. Holster is a high and tight Kydex with mags at the point of hip.

My best time is 2.54 What should "B" class prod. be? TIA

DaG

Whoa there. I think the greatest danger in this sport is making yourself a slave to the tools. If 1+1 was a stage in a match, a repeatable, rock solid 2.54 will put in the hunt every time. I'm now doing most of my practice either sans timer, or using it solely to give me a start beep and am focusing almost entirely on smooth, clean technique. That is producing results for me. Chasing par times produced anti-progress for me. YMMV. ;)

I don't use the par time or a timer much anymore other than to just check where I'm at. Trying to beat the par time ended up making me reinforce bad habits.

Don't get me wrong, in the beginning the par time was great. It helped alot and showed how you progress. You can reach a certain point where its more about "seeing" and "smoothness" than it is about time.

Flyin40