Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1 And 1 Drills

EricW

One of my favorite dryfire drills is the 1 and 1 drill: Draw, shoot 1, reload, shoot 1. Target is between 7 and 10 yards away.

I really struggled with this last year as I was having mucho trouble putting the pieces together. As of today, when I'm not rushing, I can breeze in under 2.2, par is about 2.1 to 2.15. I can hit a string of sub 2's occasionally, but eventually rushing gets the better of me and mags start flying into low earth orbit.

I think last summer I was somewhere around a 2.75 or some ungodly huge number. No clue about live fire yet. I'll hit the gravel pit tomorrow and see what I come up with.

What I really like about this particular drill is all the different stuff you have to do in a relatively short while. You really get a sense of time management. Adding .1s to your par time feels just like mammon from heaven. You're feeling like, "man, what do I do with all this extra time?"

It's a silly, little drill. And I certainly didn't invent anything new, but I'm amazed at how much I'm learning from it. It's also a great diagnostic drill when you're getting balled up on the reload doing El Prez's.

The best part is you do lots of gunhandling and only have to use up 2 rounds!

TT posted a drill like this on his forum. However, you draw, transfer to weak hand, shoot, reload (you transfer back to strong hand) and then fire another Weak hand shot.

You cant help but learn....

Great drill.

Fun one to see what you can blaze on it....I hit a PB a few weeks ago I wasn't sure was even possible. ;)

When I do this I just usually try to keep it sub 2 with both shots on the head at 7 yards.

Great drill for upping consistency in your draw and reloads.

Was goofing off yesterday Live fire had a few loaded rounds left and for some reason tried this very drill except 2 pepper poppers at 12 yds.

Draw .95 reload 1.95 both poppers down. The only time I did it.

Now I know some of you are saying 1.95 that's slow..... but I was shooting the wheel gun and Jerry says anything 2 or better is fast so I'll take it 3 days before Nats. !!! :)

Good drill, most likely need to do it more often.

Hop

Eric, I like the idea but am not convinced that you should only shoot one round and not shoot two shots each time. My reasoning - in most situations we fire two rounds because the majority of the targets are paper. This could place a heavier emphasis on one shot, sticking the reload, and the second shot without any follow through. I can understand it if your practicing for the prez or some other cof requiring only one per. Just thoughts.....

sw

gmw,

I appreciate the comment, but actually I tend to disagree. I've looked at my ammunition expenditures and I really question the value of multiple shots on every, single drill you do. I do the occasionall Bill Drill to make sure I'm timed to the gun, but after two or three, all it's really doing is measuring my draw speed. I have zero motivation to expend a small mountain of lead to cut a few hundreths off a .15 to .18 split.

When I go to the range, I'm cutting the number of rounds I shoot and paying more attention to the sight pictures I see when I pull the trigger. Shooting less ammo let's me run more drills and to me that's way more important than ingraining the "double-tap."

Any notion of a "double-tap" disappeared from my repertoire years ago. I shoot two, distinct shots per target, nothing more, nothing less. I'll bet my match splits are never faster than .20's and average 0.25s. The only difference between the second shot on a target and the first is that my front sight isn't arcing up and across the berm to the second target.

Who knows, I could be totally wrong, but for me today, less is more.

Just my $.02...

• 6 months later...
hell I like this drill because my splits are so sloooow, I can't compete on the double tap or bill drill times. :(

Not that I blaze ont his, but I get sub 2.0 regularly. B)

Not sub 2.0 head shots like Jake, but some of us are human. <_<

What a great drill -- thx, DP for digging this back up.

I've been playing with it a bit tonight, just dry-firing. 3.5 is no problem; 3.0 is iffy. One thing I notice, is I get screwed up on the 2nd and 3rd mags, because my hand shoots right for the No.1 mag position, then has to go searching....

Was goofing off yesterday Live fire had a few loaded rounds left and for some reason tried this very drill except 2 pepper poppers at 12 yds.

Draw .95 reload 1.95 both poppers down. The only time I did it.

Now I know some of you are saying 1.95 that's slow..... but I was shooting the wheel gun and Jerry says anything 2 or better is fast so I'll take it 3 days before Nats. !!! :)

Good drill, most likely need to do it more often.

Hop

Wow ! that is one fast reload with a weel gun! :blink:

I was practicing this drill about a month ago, but was shooting 2 shots, reload, and shoot one into the next target at 25 yards

Basically I was recording my draw time, my split time and my reload time, with a transition shot on the reload with 3 shots, I just thought it was more effective way of training since like a poster said earlier we typically put 2 into paper, the third shot was designed to get my time on the reload and practice moving my eyes to the next target. I did it more just to record the times and to know what my abilities were. to see if they have improved or deminshed.

Do it right to left, left to right, far, close etc. Then fire 2 shots at both targets, with a reload in between, see if your split time changes between the 2 targets. I'm all about saving money and if I can get more information with less rounds, I am all for it

I love the draw 1 reload 1 drill. It's cheap and lets you really work the gun. I had one of my few glory moments with this baby shooting it in 1.95 with the wheelgun :D (I was alone, of course...Murphy's Law :(;) )

A great drill to learn to relax and just be focussed.

• 2 weeks later...
Fastest run I got in live fire was 1.31.

.67 draw, .64 reload.

OK are we talking HEAD SHOTS STILL! I'm sure you probably are ... I shot this today at 5 yards and I couldn't get even close ! 1.66 was as low as I go and that was an A/B I got one faster but it was only a little faster and I never saw the dot (cheating)

.72 draw .94 reload.

I noticed that if my draw slows down my reload speeds up ... it was weird I did the drill 25 times or so ... and I had a few smokin reloads(for me ) .72-79 but then my draw would be .95-1.05 I also noticed that my big sticks are faster to reload (reliably) maybe more to grab ? they are heavier(loaded) though so my time from the pouch to the gun Seems slower... most of my great reloads happened with 10 rnds or so in a big stick.

I'll try it at 7 later ... as I find that practicing my draw closer keeps it fast at the further distances .... but if I practice at distance I get locked into doing a slow draw even when i'm practicaly touching the target. mental thing

thanks ERICW for the DRILL ...I liked it .

• 3 months later...