Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STAY OUT OF INDOOR RANGES. Doesn't really matter if your shooting jacketed ammo or not, the lead has infested the entire range well before you shoot there.

Very good point Chuck. Until everyone is shooting fully coated projectiles and manufacturers are supplying lead free primers, indoor ranges don't sound like a good idea.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Masks only help a little. Lead gets in your mucous membranes, your hair, absolutely everywhere. When you drive home from the range youeget it on your car seats from your clothes, you track it in your house on your shoes, imagine it.

Hot off the presses info. First, the measurement of lead is "micrograms per decaliter." the symbology is: ug/dl

Now: It seems, with extensive testing, we have found that 90% of children in the US under the age of 5 have a ug/dl measurement of at least 1. 2.2 percent are over 10, and almost 10% have at least 5 ug/dl of lead.

What does this mean? That we are still dealing with the legacy of leaded gasoline, and that many of us come into shooting already carrying a measurable amount of lead. (I suspect that the 2.2% with 10+ measurements are mostly from urban populaces, with extensive dust from engine exhaust, and lead paint in homes.)

Wash your hands, don't eat or drink at the range, and launder your clothes as soon as possible after shooting.

Drinking on an outdoor range is ok. Just don't touch the lip of the beverage container with your hands, drink down wind of someone who is shooting lead at the same time your drinking, and don't keep the beverage in your shooting bag.

Want to know why my lead is high?

I shoot at our PD's indoor range once or twice a week since I'm my platoons FI. Some rocket scientist installed the exhaust fans BEHIND the shooting line. That's right, it's true, one can truely have a ten point IQ and still call themselves engineers.