Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun rifle

Avalanche

Les,

I have not heard that fix before.  Accuracy Speaks also has a modification to reduce gas flow to make 16s more reliable.  However, the problem is w/ the design itself.  The AR was designed to have a 20.  16s can work (mine does) but I don't think that they handle any faster than a 20.  I used to shoot a 15 lb AR w/ 20inch barrel and won plenty of short range stages with it.  The only reason, I don't shoot it now is the fact that comps are now legal in limited.

Avalanche,

Mounting the scope on the right and the dot on top of the receiver is backwards.  Most dot shooting is done close up and offhand, most scope shooting is done from position (kneeling, prone, off a rest).  If you mount the scope to the right, you will never obtain a good solid firing position as you will have to awkwardly turn the rifle to the left.  You won't be able to use a bipod and you will have to lift your right arm up which will destroy the prone, sitting, and squatting postions.  However, shooting the dot mounted on the right poses no problems.  When shooting offhand/standing, you simply turn the rifle by raising your right elbow and the dot is now lined up with your eye.

I know Chris likes the EGW mount but I don't.  The line of sight and the line of bore are WAY off.  To shoot close range targets, you have to hold very high.  You can't effectively zero a dot mounted that high.  The zero is only good for one distance.  Remember that most of the big dogs rely on low-powered variables as their SOLE sight.  If I remember right, at the last 3 Gun Nationals and Myst Mtn, Miculek, Clark, Piatt, and Bednorz all relied on a scope alone.  Jake Kempton and I were the only ones to have dual optics and I only used my dot for about 4 shots.  Save some money and buy ammo.  

(Edited by kellyn at 6:53 am on Oct. 6, 2001)

The only big 3 gun left this year is in November in Alabama.  In 2002, the Mystery Mountain 3 gun is in Mesa in March and the 3 gun Nationals are in Vegas in May.

If a holosight is good enough for Mike Voight, then it's probably good enough for you too!  :-)  The most popular holosight reticle on rifles is the 1 MOA dot surrounded by the circle.  A 1 MOA dot is small enough to allow for some accurate long range shooting as it does not completely obscure the targets.

Nope, it is a Buchanan Bagworks armband.  (www.3gungear.com)  Mark Buchanan has all the cool shit for 3 gunning:  mag pouches to arm bands to shooting bags.  His arm band does not have any metal to rust.

Thanks again !!

Tech question...I have an 1100. The problem is that when the gun is unloaded I am not able to pull the handle back to open. There has to be a round at least partially in and pushing the follower.

I did add a choate 5 +1 tube and a side saddle shot shell holder. Could it be one of the additions? Thoughts?

Thanks