Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing thumb safety from M&P

Hancock83

I have an M&P 2.0 that I've been running in USPSA limited. This is the thumb safety model. At present, this model (to the best of my knowledge) is only being manufactured with the thumb safety. It can be easily removed an replaced with factory frame plugs. I believe this is not legal in production. Does anyone know whether or not it's legal in limited? 

See section 8.1.2 .  It seems to say the primary exterior safety must be engaged during MR and says nothing about being able to disable or remove it. If you have it, you gotta use it.  

It also says interior safeties, such as a grip safety, can be disabled (except in Prod, which has tighter rules).  

Edited by teros135

46 minutes ago, teros135 said:

See section 8.1.2 .  It seems to say the primary exterior safety must be engaged during MR and says nothing about being able to disable or remove it. If you have it, you gotta use it.  

It also says interior safeties, such as a grip safety, can be disabled (except in Prod, which has tighter rules).  

If it has a trigger safety that would be the primary safety like a glock. 

8.1.2.5 says you can disable safeties as long as the primary safety (trigger safety) is working.

And mp without the safety lever are legal for uspsa and limited.

Sounds legal for limited.. Definitely not legal for production. 

8.1.2.4 doesn't describe the "primary safety" specifically, and it certainly doesn't mention or describe the Glock "trigger safety" at all.  Nor does 8.1.2.5, which specifically mentions that the 1911 grip safety can be disabled.  

In either case, 8.1.2.4 says the RM has the final say.  I doubt that arguing that a guy on BE says it's so would rule, and I wouldn't recommend taking that chance.  

I do recall something about being allowed to de-activate grip safeties on Springfield XD/XDm's because the trigger tab was the primary safety.  While you could assume that logic would carry over to your M&P, teros is right about it ultimately being a decision for the RM.  And that could change with different RM's.