Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video of my Son shooting the Stock 1 modified by PD

Kamkaze

You can see the gun move independently of his hands.  That's to be expected from a little shaver, but point it out to him and explain that the goal is to get strong enough to keep the gun from moving.  You'll be surprised how fast he is able to get that under control once he knows what to do!

Are you reloading?  If so, get some 95 grain 0.356 diameter bullets. You'll have to seat them short like 1.000", but the gun will feed them fine.  Then use a fast powder and load them for 900fps or so.  They will have the recoil of a .22 from that gun.. Great for steel challenge and for the boy to learn to shoot (without a flinch).

Keep up the good work!

8 minutes ago, johnbu said:

You can see the gun move independently of his hands.  That's to be expected from a little shaver, but point it out to him and explain that the goal is to get strong enough to keep the gun from moving.  You'll be surprised how fast he is able to get that under control once he knows what to do!

Are you reloading?  If so, get some 95 grain 0.356 diameter bullets. You'll have to seat them short like 1.000", but the gun will feed them fine.  Then use a fast powder and load them for 900fps or so.  They will have the recoil of a .22 from that gun.. Great for steel challenge and for the boy to learn to shoot (without a flinch).

Keep up the good work!

Yeah we are working on that and his grip strength.  I'm going to take a good amount of material off the grips as well because they are too big for him. I do t reload yet, but that is the plan, I have buckets of 9mm brass.  Thanks for the input.

You can also see if there is a Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation Team he can join. (I coach a team). For kids in grade school through high school.  They shoot a simplified steel challenge type course of fire.

https://sssfonline.org/scholastic-pistol-program-spp/

http://shot.sssfonline.com/shot5/web/publish/team/index.asp?eid=150

1 hour ago, johnbu said:

You can also see if there is a Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation Team he can join. (I coach a team). For kids in grade school through high school.  They shoot a simplified steel challenge type course of fire.

https://sssfonline.org/scholastic-pistol-program-spp/

http://shot.sssfonline.com/shot5/web/publish/team/index.asp?eid=150

I'll look into it for sure, although around here I'm not sure.  It looks like it starts in 5th grade so he will have to wait a year.  We do have a lot of local matches in different disciplines so that's good.  I'm a firearms instructor as well so I'm pretty picky when it comes to my son lol. We are fortunate to have a 150 yard range in our backyard so that helps.  Thank you again for the input.

13 minutes ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

Do you have plans to get him into uspsa/competition shooting, or just static for now?

Yes he will be starting competitions this year, he already does non static shooting, just not with this pistol yet.  I want him to get comfortable with it first.  We do shoot on the move and moving from barricade to barricade etc with his AR and .22 pistol.

5 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

When it comes to grips for small hands, you might want to look into the EGD / Extreme grips. They’re the thinnest on the market by far and  incredibly well made.

Ok thank you I was going to ask that.  Production/SSP legal as well, I'm assuming yes.

24 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Correct. Pretty much every pair of grip panels out there is legal, btw. As long as you don’t modify the frame.

The EGDs have really good traction and short of not running any grips at all, they’re as thin as you’ll find. They are also downright gorgeous.

I'll be searching for them now again thanks.

36 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Correct. Pretty much every pair of grip panels out there is legal, btw. As long as you don’t modify the frame.

The EGDs have really good traction and short of not running any grips at all, they’re as thin as you’ll find. They are also downright gorgeous.

These?  https://patriotdefense.com/product/egd-xtreme-eaa-tanfoglio-witness-large-frame-custom-grips/

are they thinner then these Hennings?  They don't look like it but looks can be deceiving.

http://benstoegerproshop.com/henning-eaa-tanfoglio-checkered-contour-grip-panels-large-frame/

My son is 7, he started at 6. He went cricket, semi .22, 9, then I put him back in a .22. The reason I dropped him back down is because he was better able to focus on the stage and the movements. When he was in the 9, it was distracting him from pretty much everything. As a side note, he's grown up around guns/gunfire, and lives to shoot. He can shoot anything static... but once you throw movements in, a lot changes. 

I know every situation is different, just giving you another piece to the puzzle. Good luck and it's awesome to see you getting him into the sport! Also, John is an amazing resource for junior and scholastic shooting. PM him and I'm sure you guys will have some good conversations. 

Sorry for the music, lol, it was part of a squad video. 

37 minutes ago, Kamkaze said:

The ones you list are for guns with a magwell.

https://patriotdefense.com/product/egd-xtreme-eaa-tanfogolio-witness-large-frame-grips-black/

these should be for the Stock 1,2,3 guns.

They are markedly thinner than the henning grips.  And they have good traction.   I have guns with them, henning, PD and shaved wood w skate tape. They are nice.just too thin for my mitts.  My son likes them.

Oh, you can also get a .22lr kit for the gun. $150 with 1 mag.  Mags are reasonable.  This option gives young shooters the experience of gun handling but takes out the recoil and report that can be a problem for some.  As Socalshooter69 said,  it lets them focus more on the stage and less on the

gun jumping up at them.  Just another place for us to spend your money!  lol.

https://www.gunsmidwest.com/eaa-wit-22lr-conv-kit-stl-ps-45-10.html

1 hour ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

My son is 7, he started at 6. He went cricket, semi .22, 9, then I put him back in a .22. The reason I dropped him back down is because he was better able to focus on the stage and the movements. When he was in the 9, it was distracting him from pretty much everything. As a side note, he's grown up around guns/gunfire, and lives to shoot. He can shoot anything static... but once you throw movements in, a lot changes. 

I know every situation is different, just giving you another piece to the puzzle. Good luck and it's awesome to see you getting him into the sport! Also, John is an amazing resource for junior and scholastic shooting. PM him and I'm sure you guys will have some good conversations. 

Sorry for the music, lol, it was part of a squad video. 

Thanks for this I appreciate it, my son started shooting at 4 and he too has grown up around it so he is comfortable with about anything static, I agree movement changes everything, I watch guys I work with that are phenomenal shooters on a square range go to hell when they have to move and shoot.  TBH I didn't know that .22 was an option for the competitions I thought it had to be 9mm, he has a very nice S&W m&p 22 he is very comfortable with and has a full rig for so maybe I'll start him with that.  I'll definitely holler at John and pick his brain for sure.

1 hour ago, johnbu said:

The ones you list are for guns with a magwell.

https://patriotdefense.com/product/egd-xtreme-eaa-tanfogolio-witness-large-frame-grips-black/

these should be for the Stock 1,2,3 guns.

They are markedly thinner than the henning grips.  And they have good traction.   I have guns with them, henning, PD and shaved wood w skate tape. They are nice.just too thin for my mitts.  My son likes them.

Ok good to know thank you!

1 hour ago, johnbu said:

Oh, you can also get a .22lr kit for the gun. $150 with 1 mag.  Mags are reasonable.  This option gives young shooters the experience of gun handling but takes out the recoil and report that can be a problem for some.  As Socalshooter69 said,  it lets them focus more on the stage and less on the

gun jumping up at them.  Just another place for us to spend your money!  lol.

https://www.gunsmidwest.com/eaa-wit-22lr-conv-kit-stl-ps-45-10.html

I'll look into this as well, having a 22 conversion is always a nice option.  I truly appreciate the info, I'm very new to Tanfo so I'm still doing as much research as possible.

Give that m&p a go with some double taps, see how it runs. I've found that it has a lot of feed issues in competitions. The 1911 .22 platform is a lot more "tune-able," to run standard and high velocity .22 ammo. There are a few companies that make 1911 .22 specific parts, to have it running malfunction free. 

You may have to either run high velocity, or drop the recoil spring rate to get that m&p to run. Also, the feed ramp may need a little massaging. 

19 minutes ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

Give that m&p a go with some double taps, see how it runs. I've found that it has a lot of feed issues in competitions. The 1911 .22 platform is a lot more "tune-able," to run standard and high velocity .22 ammo. There are a few companies that make 1911 .22 specific parts, to have it running malfunction free. 

You may have to either run high velocity, or drop the recoil spring rate to get that m&p to run. Also, the feed ramp may need a little massaging. 

Man I've literally ran every kind of ammo though it and never had an issue, other than subs I've never tried those.  I'm not sure if the apex trigger will work in the 22 but if it will that would be gray too. 

1 minute ago, Kamkaze said:

Man I've literally ran every kind of ammo though it and never had an issue, other than subs I've never tried those.  I'm not sure if the apex trigger will work in the 22 but if it will that would be gray too. 

Sounds like you got a good one. Set him up with a rig, and start letting him run some stages! 

Some things that help the curve in regards to uspsa -

99% of everyone in your squad will be excited to have him there. 1% won't, so pick and choose your battles. 

Don't crowd him. Make sure you're able to cure a possible 180 breach immediately, but let him have a little breathing room. 

Don't worry about scoring, at all. If he can decipher a stage and course of fire, make any hits on targets and poppers, you're already ahead with him. 

Not sure what state you're in, but it's easier to run hi cap mags, with fewer reloads as that can add to the distraction of what they were planning to do next. 

You'll be shocked how quick kids pick up this game. Enjoy and good luck!

2 minutes ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

Sounds like you got a good one. Set him up with a rig, and start letting him run some stages! 

Some things that help the curve in regards to uspsa -

99% of everyone in your squad will be excited to have him there. 1% won't, so pick and choose your battles. 

Don't crowd him. Make sure you're able to cure a possible 180 breach immediately, but let him have a little breathing room. 

Don't worry about scoring, at all. If he can decipher a stage and course of fire, make any hits on targets and poppers, you're already ahead with him. 

Not sure what state you're in, but it's easier to run hi cap mags, with fewer reloads as that can add to the distraction of what they were planning to do next. 

You'll be shocked how quick kids pick up this game. Enjoy and good luck!

He already has a full rig from US Grunt gear so that is GTG, I need to get him another 2 mag pouch from him and a few more mags, he has 3.  The group that I just started shooting with is pretty close knit and most are friends so hopefully that part will be ok.  I will talk to a few of the RO's before so I know it is gtg.  Im in Texas so mag cap isnt an issue although I am not sure I have seen any mags for it that hold more than 10 but I will be looking shortly.  I greatly appreciate the advice.  We are going to a free USPSA clinic for new shooters being sponsored by Cabelas on the 7th so that will hopefully get his feet wet.  I carry a gun for a living and have been shooting different competitions, pistol and rifle for many years but I shot my first USPSA match two weeks ago so I am completely new to this game.

Technically, he needs a 9mm or larger.  but... talk to the Match Director about it BEFORE the match day. Explain how he is mature,  safe, follows direction, etc. And you would like to have him start  with a 22 (knowing its sub-minor and won't officially score). Unless they are total  phallus's, they will let him.

Everyone i shoot with would be dang happy to shoot with him.