Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TS CZC Magwell install issue

90lxracer

So... Installing a CZC safety, and also magwell, and upon reassembly I'm not sure exactly where I'm derailing... 

I got the safety in.. ok.. test trigger.. still works.. engage safety, trigger doesn't work... check.. flip to fire.. trigger works again.. bingo!!

Put the magwell on.. Push the pin in, and slide the magwell over.. safety will no longer engage.. Do I need a shaved down plug thingy in order to install the magwell?  It looked like there was the same manner of dimple there to accommodate that dimple..

The trigger spring is stock,  is that the issue here? Before getting too frustrated.. I thought I'd ask

Let's try to clarify what is going on.

1. New safety is installed and functions correctly

2. Main spring (located in the grip, orientated vertically, e.g. up/down) installed during safety functional check

3. Slide magwell over grip (no change to main spring) and safety no longer works.

The mainspring isn't affected/impacted when the magwell is attached.  At least on my pistols. No good reason for the gun to function properly with the main spring installed and no magwell and not to work when sliding the magwell on over the grip.

Pictures of the pistol with/without the magwell installed would be the next step

11 hours ago, muncie21 said:

Let's try to clarify what is going on.

1. New safety is installed and functions correctly

2. Main spring (located in the grip, orientated vertically, e.g. up/down) installed during safety functional check

3. Slide magwell over grip (no change to main spring) and safety no longer works.

The mainspring isn't affected/impacted when the magwell is attached.  At least on my pistols. No good reason for the gun to function properly with the main spring installed and no magwell and not to work when sliding the magwell on over the grip.

Pictures of the pistol with/without the magwell installed would be the next step

I had my terminology jacked..

The spring is the main spring.. (The spring that's on the hammer) 

I really don't know what is going on..  maybe the safety does need fitting??

If you can't determine which is causing the issue, the new safety or how the main spring is installed, I'd suggest staring by putting the known good safety back in.  Verify functionality of the safety.  You don't need to drop the main spring to change out safeties, so once you check that it is installed correctly, just remove the old safety and install the new one. 

If the safety needs to be fitted, go slow.  It normally doesn't require removal of much material.  You can ruin a perfectly good safety quickly by filing off too much material.

You probably already solved the problem by now.

I also installed a CZC extended safety and a magwell on my TS (my first CZ).

I chose a CzechMate magwell, and yes, it needed a modified hammer spring plug, one without the pin on the bottom of the plug, otherwise the magwell would not slide on all the way.

The extended safety has been a learning experience. It works fine now; I may change it out again.

Said all that to say, I don't understand how your two problems are related, albeit my experience is limited.

I found some of the best how-to videos by abyss1232 on YouTube.

Also Scarlett Pistol has quite an extensive series:

However, these are not TS specific.

I guess I need to circle back on this..

Safety.. Well... it looks as though the extended CZC safety needs some manner of fitting,  I installed the magwell and put everything back together with the stock safety and all is well. 

One thing, and I may have this dorked up as well, the main spring plug, and the cross pin for it, when I use that cross pin, there doesn't seem to be any pressure on the magwell and it will *rattle* as in, it's a bit loose... where if I leave it out.. the mainspring is applying pressure and the magwell is tight.. What is the purpose of that cross pin? 

Do I have this crossed up? Is that pin needed with the czc magwell?? 

I would guess the pin is needed. I assume the CZC magwell is a plug and play replacement for the stock magwell. I don't have that model magwell.

I don't know why yours is loose. Sorry I'm not much help. Perhaps some videos would show what is wrong...provide an ah-ha moment.

My CzechMate magwell is held by a set screw and requires a mod to the main spring plug bottom.

There are some threads discussing the CZC safety and also the Shadow 2 wide safety fitting into the TS/TSO models. They may help. They helped me. Minor fitting problems at the sear, detent preventing complete insertion, early engagement, weak engagement, and trimming the shelf are discussed.

Maybe others here who have the CZC magwell can chime in.

OP:  if your magwell is from CZ Customs, you don't install the cross pin, which CZC refers to as the 'main spring plug pin' 

From their website: We suggest removing the main spring plug pin so that the main spring plug keeps pressure on the mag well at all times.

4 hours ago, muncie21 said:

OP:  if your magwell is from CZ Customs, you don't install the cross pin, which CZC refers to as the 'main spring plug pin' 

From their website: We suggest removing the main spring plug pin so that the main spring plug keeps pressure on the mag well at all times.

Sweet!! Well... At least that's one thing out of the way.