Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loaded Ammo

Qstick

I ahven't shot my limited setup all year, but am thinking of bringing it out in the next few weeks. Will the ammo that I loaded last year still be fine to use? Are there any effects to long-term storage of ammunition?

Thanks,

ZAch

Zach,

The only issue is if it gets wet over an extended period. If it has been kept relatively cool and dry, ammo will last forever. I grew up shooting WWII and Korea surplus ammo. Never had a problem.

Don't worry about it at all. ;)

Old ammo w/ normal primers - OK (priming compound is: lead styphnate).

New Speer brand lead free ammo? The current boxes are maked "Use by 2008" After that, expect more & more mis-fires until its all virtually dead in under a decade. One more thing to LIKE about lead.

Found a little more than two hundred rounds of 45 ACP reloads dated 1988 while storing my firearms and ammo last year before moving to Canada. It consisted of 4.2 grs of Bullseye, 200 gr semi-wad, and CCI primers. Shot about twenty rounds without any failure. Kept the remaining rounds.

As long as reloads don't get wet and don't get contaminated with oil, I see no reason why reloads would fail.

By the way, the mentioned loads were done by a lady named Candi (who started to reload in the 1970's as an employee of Singcang Gun Club, and later Club 44 of Silay, Negros Occidental), using a single press reloader.

P.S.

The bullet heads that we were using at that time was Hensley and Gibbs #68 (200 gr LSWC). They were pretty accurate with WW 231 and Bullseye. :)

Hah! Got you all beat. I've got an ammo can full of loose WWI .45 hardball. The powder in some rounds is caked to a solid mass, and sounds like a little brass castanet. Not one has ever failed to go off. I test a couple of mags worth each year, then scrub the gun thoroughly. (Corrosive primers back then.)

Properly sealed, and kept dry and out of the heat, ammo will last longer than any of us ever will.