Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Very light 10-22 furniture

RickT

Wife has a Kidd barreled receiver with wooden thumb hole stock.  We're super seniors and the resulting gun is a bit heavy for here.  she certainly doesn't need the stock to extend much past the magazine as here current support hand is just in front of the mag well.  Also, she probably prefers an LOP that is shorter than typical, more like what can be achieved with an AR collapsible stock.  Any suggestions out there?  Obviously the stock has to be compatible with a bull barrel.

Part of the idea is to shorter the LOP and decrease the stock weight to reduce the moment of inertia so she can better control transitions.  She won't be getting any stronger.

1 hour ago, chilly636 said:

Lightest stock on the market is the Blackhawk Axiom and it has a collapsible stock.

Thanks!  I had run across this last evening and ordered one.  <$70 from Optics Planet.  

I've switched to a PMACA aluminum stock with carbon fiber handguard, and have never shot better. The stock is very light and, very rigid, and balances extremely well. The handguard let me move my grip all the way forward so I can precisely stop the barrel on every plate, no matter how fast I'm swinging.

e55932329833de7a8e7e00717b42c1ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:54 PM, 1911luvr said:

I've switched to a PMACA aluminum stock with carbon fiber handguard, and have never shot better. The stock is very light and, very rigid, and balances extremely well. The handguard let me move my grip all the way forward so I can precisely stop the barrel on every plate, no matter how fast I'm swinging.

e55932329833de7a8e7e00717b42c1ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too much metal for me.

10-22A.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:14 AM, RickT said:

Wife has a Kidd barreled receiver with wooden thumb hole stock.  We're super seniors and the resulting gun is a bit heavy for here.  she certainly doesn't need the stock to extend much past the magazine as here current support hand is just in front of the mag well.  Also, she probably prefers an LOP that is shorter than typical, more like what can be achieved with an AR collapsible stock.  Any suggestions out there?  Obviously the stock has to be compatible with a bull barrel.

Part of the idea is to shorter the LOP and decrease the stock weight to reduce the moment of inertia so she can better control transitions.  She won't be getting any stronger.

Like others have said the Axiom stock is the lightest. To do the fastest transitions you need to move your off hand as far down towards the end of the barrel as the stock permits. This provides more rigidity in the grip and allows you to control the muzzle position much better. Problem with a magwell grip is the entire end of the barrel is unsupported and then it becomes a lever that you have to control with your hands too close to each other. Also you did not say what variety of Kidd barrel you are using. Their ULW barrel is 1/2 the weight of one of their all steel barrels although both the Volquartsen carbon fiber and the Tactical Solutions alloy are another 4+ ounces each lighter than Kidd lightest ULW barrel. Probably why most shooters use either VQ or TS barrels in their speed rimfires.

I am also in the Super Senior category at 70.