Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock II trigger reset problems....

MikieM

4 minutes ago, MikieM said:

We thought of that (among other considerations), but all 6 mags checked out to be dimension-ally correct. 

The test was simple enough. With the old mag release reinstalled (as per a right-handed shooter) everything worked fine again. When switched back to a south-paw configuration the problem came back.

A new mag release from PD, installed for a left-handed shooter, has worked fine thus far. 

So likely the nub on the mag release was not symmetrical, that would have been my guess based upon the way it looks like they're cast.  You might have able to just file that nub a little and solve the problem as well.  

5 minutes ago, Tanfastic said:

So likely the nub on the mag release was not symmetrical, that would have been my guess based upon the way it looks like they're cast.  You might have able to just file that nub a little and solve the problem as well.  

It's possible, yes.

One side of the frame could be a bit thicker than the other causing a change in the mag center-line when the release was reversed. 

Lot's of possibilities.

Edited by MikieM

26 minutes ago, MikieM said:

It's possible, yes.

One side of the frame could be a bit thicker than the other causing a change in the mag center-line when the release was reversed. 

Lot's of possibilities.

I'm just surprised this is an issue since the mag is not exactly held "tight" in the frame.  If you put a mag in with the slide off and check it out, it rattles all over the place in there.  I would think the only issue could be the height that the mag is sitting in the frame, not side-to-side fit.

1 minute ago, Tanfastic said:

I'm just surprised this is an issue since the mag is not exactly held "tight" in the frame.  If you put a mag in with the slide off and check it out, it rattles all over the place in there.  I would think the only issue could be the height that the mag is sitting in the frame, not side-to-side fit.

Perplexing, isn't it?

9 hours ago, johnbu said:

You should have measured the difference between the two .

Too late now.  i bet it is just a few thousandths.

We will. The new mag release is only temporary. Joanna sent a release for a carry gun (short), but the Stock II requires an extended one. A problem that will be remedied in a day, or two.

I asked @Tanfastic to switch the buttons on both my gats.  They both had issues with the mags seating hard, then locking up the gun so the slide wouldn't move with the mag inserted, and the trigger wouldn't reset.  We messed with the guns a bit, and it they both stopped doing it, but no idea why or what caused it.

I live fired them both yesterday and didn't have any issues with either Stock 2.  Last night I noticed my match gun was seating mags hard again and binding the slide.  I put one dummy round in the top of the mag, and it stopped.  I believe it's caused by the follower contacting something, since putting one dummy round in the mag completely fixes the issue.

Does that fill in the missing pieces for anyone?  Any thoughts on what's going on?  I'm guessing the mag release is making the mags bind, but the follower position is causing the problems.

21 hours ago, JP221 said:

I asked @Tanfastic to switch the buttons on both my gats.  They both had issues with the mags seating hard, then locking up the gun so the slide wouldn't move with the mag inserted, and the trigger wouldn't reset.  We messed with the guns a bit, and it they both stopped doing it, but no idea why or what caused it.

I live fired them both yesterday and didn't have any issues with either Stock 2.  Last night I noticed my match gun was seating mags hard again and binding the slide.  I put one dummy round in the top of the mag, and it stopped.  I believe it's caused by the follower contacting something, since putting one dummy round in the mag completely fixes the issue.

Does that fill in the missing pieces for anyone?  Any thoughts on what's going on?  I'm guessing the mag release is making the mags bind, but the follower position is causing the problems.

I was going to keep this a secret from SoCal, but what the hell. You're right. It's been the mag followers all along. 

The problem arose when the last one, or two, rounds were still in the magazine, remember? That was the give-away. 

Trim the followers up, and the problem goes away.

3 hours ago, MikieM said:

I was going to keep this a secret from SoCal, but what the hell. You're right. It's been the mag followers all along. 

The problem arose when the last one, or two, rounds were still in the magazine, remember? That was the give-away. 

Trim the followers up, and the problem goes away.

I literally just laughed out loud!

Glad you got it figured out.

2 hours ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

I literally just laughed out loud!

Glad you got it figured out.

We are to.

It's amazing how one thing leads to another only to find out it's something else. Sometimes it helps to be one part detective, one part psychic, and two parts lucky. :D

36 minutes ago, MikieM said:

We are to.

It's amazing how one thing leads to another only to find out it's something else. Sometimes it helps to be one part detective, one part psychic, and two parts lucky. :D

I assume it's due to the mag being slightly canted to the left side of the frame vs. the right side of the frame with the mag release in the standard position?  That's what we found with @JP221's gun when we switched it.  

31 minutes ago, Tanfastic said:

I assume it's due to the mag being slightly canted to the left side of the frame vs. the right side of the frame with the mag release in the standard position?  That's what we found with @JP221's gun when we switched it.  

Yes, the magazine becomes canted, which in turn impinges upon the trigger part (probably the stirrup) causing the failure to reset.

The mag follower is always on the left-side of the gun so when the mag release is switched over for the lefty shooter, the follower rises up to some part of the mag release that wasn't there before, causing the magazine to move off center.

I hope someone writes this stuff down so others will learn from it in the future.

Oh yeah, we have a search feature, don't we?  :rolleyes: