Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flipping between optic and non-optic divisions

matteekay

2 minutes ago, CHLChris said:

My problem was a focus issue.  For any dot gun, my focus is on the target, but with a front sight fiber, I find I have big problems with both eyes open.  The only way I can get a good sight picture is to squint my left eye.  What a pain in the rear!  And a real time-waster.

two schools of thought there, one is that with time and practice it will go away. It never did for me tho, but I don't have a strongly dominant eye. So i just put a square of scotch tape on my non-dominant side lens when shooting irons and call it good. Some really good shooters do the same, some close one eye, many are just wired so that they do get used to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update from the OP:

I slapped a dot on my 627 before our last ICORE match and I gotta say, I'm a believer. Not because I shot well; I didn't, I shot atrociously (I was 20+ seconds faster with my iron-sighted Limited 6 gun) but I could actually see how the dot was wandering off-target on my Bravos/Charlies/Mikes. Learning this during a match is probably not the way to do it but it was only a local one, so meh.

I'm convinced (right now, anyway) that the dot makes a lot of sense as a training tool. I just ordered a mount for my "trainer" .22 single stack and intend to run a dot on there. I understand what everyone is saying about how finding the dot changes your draw and initial acquisition, so my plan is to run it for live-fire and then practice draws and reloads with my 45/9mm 1911's in dry-fire.

One more baby step on a long path!