Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA Witness Match Elite .45ACP??

Lonewolf260

I've recently been offered an EAA Witness Match Elite .45 ACP in excellent condition with 4 mags and Dawson Precision sights in trade for my my very good condition Glock 35 with 5 mags, Dawson Precision sights, and Bladetech Black Ice kydex holster.  I know very little about the Witness pistols other than that they are CZ75 clones and that there is a following in the competition world, more so in Europe than in U.S.  

What can you tell me about this pistol, good and bad?  Some reviews say they are very accurate and the best kept secret in the gun industry, others show of problems with frames pitting and cracking, and overall reliability issues.

What is this pistol currently worth?  Seller claims this pistol can sell for $800-1000.  I think it's a bit inflated and probably averages new for $750.  I believe my package is worth about $600-650.  What say you...is this a good or bad deal?  I am concerned that if I don't like the pistol or there is a problem with it, I won't be able to sell it and get my money out of it (risky).  Seems to be a small market for these guns since many aren't aware of EAA/Tanfoglio.

The Limtied would be worth over $1k if it weren't in .45

The Match isn't. First, 45ACP is by far the least desireable caliber to any competitive shooter - by sizeable margin. Second, the Limited has the competition frame and square trigger guard and the like.

What it comes down to is that this is a rather ordinary gun. If you love and you want to buy it for you, you'll be happy.

If you're simply trying to score a deal? Look elsewhere.

I've got this pistol in 40S&W and have added a 10mm barrel to it.   I love this gun but I wouldn't carry it for any period of time.  Too heavy (all steel) but man is it a sweet shooter and capable of some tight groups if you have your act together.  Very nice trigger out of the box and even that can be improved if you're willing to do a little polishing.  Not really necessary for most of us but if you're interested....

Frame cracking, etc. was an old issue and I'm pretty sure they fixed that.   Do a search on the Enos forum for Tanfoglio to get a feel for this. 

A new Witness Elite Match can be had around $750 (plus shipping, FFL fees, taxes, etc) but I have no idea what used ones go for.  The mags you are both offering plus the sights are a wash as far as cost is concerned so just focus on the pistol price and go from there.  I'm not a Glock fan so my opinion on a trade would be biased.

Thanks for the info. guys.  Turns out the guy didn't hold to his deal and traded to someone else.  Perhaps this was for the better, as I would've preferred a 9mm or 40 cal.  I'm not really a Glock guy.  I consider myself more of a Sig guy.  But I'm intrigued by the CZ and it's relatives (Tanfoglio/Witness).  So I will eventually have one in the future.  But it sounds like this guy was inflating what he had, so I'm not really missing out.  It just wasn't the right trade at the right time.