Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extra shots on a stop plate in ICORE

A steel challenge stage at an ICORE match is "in the style of" and any SCSA rules do not govern said stage. The Match Director approves the stage designer's stage procedure and penalties as long as it adheres to the general ICORE guidelines. The stage designer creates the procedure and how the plates are engaged. It is correct that the rule 6.5 dictates how the total time for score is acrued. The fact there is no specific rule governing Steel Challenge type stages in the ICORE rulebook therefore means the stage brief/procedure ultimately dictates what is considered the end of total time. For example: "Such as Audible start-Last Shot" or "Par time of XXX". So if If the stage brief says "Once the stop plate is struck time stops" That means that's the end of a scorable run. Now if it were followed up by "additional shots on a plate will count towards total time" then that would allow the penalty or added time.  

I personally don't agree with the whole additional shots striking a stop plate shall count business. My point of view is its a stop plate and once hit the time stops, period, and you score from there. The only reason it was imposed in officially sanctioned SCSA matches was to eliminate the extra time it took for an RO to recall the first hit on the stop plate within the timer. Frankly I don't see how that's so difficult, only takes a moment. But I believe the lack of understanding by some RO's in how to operate the timers to correctly recall the shots was the actually time consuming element. So a RO training on the deployed timers would be the solution rather than adding another penalty risk to the shooter.