Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open pistol question

chenault

I've been trying several peoples open pistols to get an idea of what I want.  Today a guy lent me his new pistol and when I cycled it there was a tink sound like the slide was making contact with the barrel.  At first I thought it was the slide hitting the comp, but it looked like there was clearance.  This is the only open gun I've heard this on

Im not going to buy this gun or anything, but I like to understand things.  Does anyone have an idea of what this sound was or if it's common.  Obviously he's shot it so it functions, but I would worry about long time wear.

Edited by chenault

If it was during unlocking I would say lower lugs hitting the vis but that does sound more like the bottom of the comp is impacting the slide. Did you look at the clearance between the bottom rear of the comp and the slide or plug? Curious now.

Yea I did I really don't think that it was.  I didn't cycle it with a round in the chamber, could the barrel be perfectly sized for when a round in chambered and sound loose when one isn't?

Edited by chenault

For which exact length of case?

i think the answer would be yes but for 9mm which headspaces off the length and not a rim I would say the answer is typically no way unless the dude trimmed all brass an threw out any that was over .001 shorter that his barrels chamber is cut.

in long range (mostly bolt action) head spacing and bullet land jump/distance are critical to repeatability but accuracy at 1,640 yards is totally different than 2-50 yard accuracy tests.

i have an open gun that sharply "snaps, snaps, clunks" when unlocking or locking and I believe it has more to do with the angle the lower lug is cut and how that interacts with the link and slide stop and how that interaction takes place during a "slow" manual manipulation of the slide.  

What youre desiring sound like a gun that has a lower lug cut shorter in length or slightly smaller radius than required for the timing of the slide to cycle but not so much as to be a concern or issue. I think the sound your describing is the barrel hitting the horizontal impact surface from momentum prior to or in conjunction with the VIS and it makes a different sound.

the link starts the unlocking process by pulling the barrel down by then if there's nothing to control the "fall" momentum will make it sound like it's smacking something because there is nothing to resist the movement once it clear of the lower lug.

sikilar is true on luckup. I'd guess the hood is slightly shorter than necessary and as the lower lug hits the slide stop it "kicks" the barrel up quicker than if it was riding on the stop.

id gues the locking/unlocking process is quieter and smoother On a gun that rides perfectly up the stop.

in live fire I'd say it's either happening and just too quiet to be heard over the boom or it's not happening because the momentum and velocity of the slide is totally different than a manual cycling of the slide.

im not a GS so take this with a grain.