Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frame mounted optic on frame with picatinny rails?

Rudukai13

Does anyone know if a mount for an optic will fit on a 2011 frame that has a picatinny rail?

Specifically, I'm interested to know if you could add a frame-mounted optic to the STI Costa Carry Comp, preferably while maintaining the ability to mount a flashlight to the pic rail...?

I know, odd question. I'm an odd person B)

That's a bit like what I'm thinking, but not quite.

What I'm wanting to build is a pistol that blurs the line between an Open competition pistol and a fullsize tactical/duty pistol - Small, inset compensator on a short barrel and slide for factory 9mm (minor pf) ammo, with a frame-mounted mrds and provision for mounting a flashlight. The Costa Carry Comp seems like a prime candidate. I'd like to take that, add a PT EVO grip, a Cheely mount with a Leupold Deltapoint Pro, and a Surefire X300 on the picatinny rail. I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea as to whether or not the optic mount will have enough space to bolt onto the frame above the picatinny rail, hopefully without interfering with the ability to mount a flashlight under the barrel...

And before anyone mentions it - I know, a slide-mounted optic would make things much easier, but I've never been a fan of them either in appearance or how much the dot moves with each shot. Frame-mounted is where it's at for me...

It wouldn't be intended for competition, so while weight is still a consideration, it's not as much of a concern.

Though I'm beginning to think, considering the initial cost of purchasing the pistol, then having a gunsmith change it into what I want - It might be worth having someone just build the gun completely custom from the ground up to my specifications...