Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idpa In Az

revchuck

I just returned from a four-week-long Army school at lovely Ft. Huachuca, which is located south of Tucson. I did some research before I left and managed to shoot at least one match each weekend while I was there. I was usually the token revolver shooter. :D

I shot the classifier and a match at the Phoenix R&G - Mark Perez is a devious sumbeach. ;) And I'm now a five gun SS - classified ESR with a S&W 681, HKS speedloaders and .357 Mag RNLs at a 175 PF. Nothing like consistent mediocrity...I also shot at Rio Salado in Mesa, where Ivan (I'm 6'2" and I had to look up to him) put on a fun and challenging match. That was the first time I ever shot a stage using par time - and I've been shooting IDPA since '98. Didn't screw it up, either!

I also shot a USPSA match at the Pima gun club in Tucson - my Gubmint Model was whining about sitting in the gun rug, so I shot L10 and really enjoyed it, even though I got lots of practice reloading with those seven round mags. I decided to break down and get some ten rounders, so I now have five Chip McCormick power mags.

If you're going to AZ for either business or pleasure, be sure to bring at least one gun - and plenty of ammo!

revchuck I agree. I visit AZ once a month an catch Tue Night Steel at Salado and have shot State and regional matches at Phoenix R&G. There isn't any shortage of shooters in AZ! Hope to shoot at Tucson one of these days but rarely am I there on a weekend,

I just returned from a four-week-long Army school at lovely Ft. Huachuca, which is located south of Tucson.  I did some research before I left and managed to shoot at least one match each weekend while I was there.  I was usually the token revolver shooter. :D

I live in Sierra Vista and work on Ft. Huachuca, you should have mentioned you were coming here for a school. We could have done some shooting.

Were you able to shoot our local steel match down here? It is not a bad local match but I still go up to Tucson for matches also.

Neal in AZ

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

You have got to love the Phoenix area of AZ. I moved here a few years ago basically for shooting and my love of guns. You have to love the fact that you can basically shoot IDPA matches 3-4 times a week every week year round. If you also throw in IPSC, steel and now Marks new TSA format, you can shoot a match 6 days a week every week year round. :-)