Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kel-Tec Sub 2000

bigload

BigLoad - please look into this. Do a search on "9mm" on the forum topics that deal with 3gun; I bought a 9mm AR-15 for 3 gun use w/ the understanding that 300 yard plate shots were not going to happen, but for 150 yards and in, the 9mm might be viable.  Fact is, most 3 gun matches are all very close targets since ranges rarely have more than 100 yards for rifles - around here anyway. Maybe guys out west have lotsa places to put 300 yard ranges but that's well outside of Area 8. Anyway, I now realize that reloads w/ the AR-15 in 9mm are slow and that either the MecTec upper conversion unit or the Kel Tec would be faster since the reload motion would be similar to reloading the handguns we all started with.

Now the 40, that is another beast all together.  If you could somehow load 10mm into those same pistol mags - and if the Kel-tec could take it after reaming to 10 mm, you might have a potent recipe w/ a faster reload potential than a .223 AR.  Problem will be that even at velocities approaching 2000 fps out od a 10mm rifle w/ light bullets,  it will be harder to hit those rare 300 yard plates than it currently is w. a .223 - it will take so much longer for the slug to get there that your aiming will have to be that much more precise - ever play around w/ match air rifles? You do your part w/ the followthrough and they are accurate as hell. Try to rush and your accuract goes down the tubes.  Ever rush at a 3 gun match?

Still - neat idea; what are we without inovation?  

Carlos ... great minds think alike!  

About a year ago a buddy and I decided to shoot our first 3 gun match.  He had a Benelli shotgun and I had an SR-25 so we packed our stuff and went.  It was almost painful to ‘hose’ 10yd targets with the .308.  It was an incredible waste of rifle and ammo and I swore that I would never do that again.  Several months later we noticed that the Mech-Tech conversion was available in 10mm and we called them.  They shipped us a 9mm Mech-Tech rifle with a spare 10mm slide/bolt.  We reamed out the chamber for 9x25 and installed the 10mm bolt to complete the transformation. My buddy had a spare SV frame so we slid it under the Mech-Tech and now have a 2000+fps carbine that is great out to about 125 yards.  It reloads as fast as an open pistol,  has a 20oz trigger and handles like a dream.  Recently we added a rifle style muzzle brake to soften it up and it is perfect. It is the perfect carbine for the majority of the local run and gun rifle stages that we have in central Florida.  I will never claim that it has MOA accuracy (not even close) but it really gets the job done and is better than just about anything available for these “hoser” stages out to 100yds.  We now have a few thousand rounds through it with no jams or problems.

Leo

Hmmm.  slow reloads with 9mm carbine.  I'll have to look into that, as we've got a bunch of guys shooting 9mmC for 3-gun and PCC entries in handgun matches.  I'm the slowest at loading (I have to pull my mags out, they won't drop free.  I'll have to see a gunsmith about that.  Wait a minute, I am one....)

One solution is to use the Mag Cinch approach.  The rest of us haven't had a problem yet.

I got the Sub 2000 with a 32rd 9mm glock mag and some 17 rounders.  I love it.

Only two draw backs:

1.Sights are mounted low and that along with the very short length of pull really works the ole neck muscles.

2. Don't be shooting at any 6 in steel plates past 100yrds.

I have one in .40. I haven't shot it extensively because it came with a really horrid trigger pull(which Keltek said they would fix when I send it back). It does seem to be remarkably accurate at least out to 100 yards despite the trigger. 150 rounds, no jams. The sights are crappy and too low as JT said. I got a couple of Scherer mags with it, I don't know if they came cracked or cracked on me. They will hold 26 .40's. It does look real cool with my Glock mags with Arredondo extenders, like it was made for them. I like the 10mm idea but I don't think they will fit in the .40 mags. I'll try it later.