Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Armalite AR103GN18

Matt in TN

I've been threatening to buy an AR-10 for years, but just recently a few things all came together at the same time and I broke down and ordered a "modern rifle" to see what I've been missing.  Today was its first test run.  When I was researching these, I couldn't find many good reviews - so maybe this will help the next guy thinking about buying one.

AR103GN18_zpszyzva7m0.jpg

In case you can't read it - that's 0.817" at 100yds with 155gr Nosler JHPBT bullets, and 0.644" with 175gr FGMM.  Note that I've done absolutely NO load development yet (the 155gr load is my old FAL load), and I was shooting this with a 4x scope with heavy cross-hairs.  Adjustable gas block, tuneable brake (I hate brakes, but the combination of these two made for a very soft and flat shooting rifle), free floated keymod handguard, Timney trigger, Raptor ambi charging handle, ambi selector, and adjustable Luth-AR stock - all straight out of the box. I did the barrel break-in, set the gas and tuned the brake and it was good to go. The only part I changed was the triggerguard - I put a Magpul on there because the stock one always digs into my middle finger.

I then shot some VTAC drills from 100-300yds, and where I struggle with the FAL, with this thing hits were effortless and reliable.  It really was like cheating.  I only have about 75rds through it so far, but it ran like a sewing machine throughout - with 10rd, 20rd, and 25rd PMAGs.  Next weekend I have a 3-gun match, so we'll see how it does with a little hard use.  And we'll see if I can remember where the controls are on the clock!

The bad news is that I have NEVER seen one of these in stock anywhere, so I ordered mine sight unseen after doing a bunch of research and hearing some good reviews from a couple shooters I trust.  The good news is that "every dealer is an Armalite dealer" - go down to your local gun shop, have them call Armalite, and they can order one for you directly.  Their website always shows out of stock for some reason - but mine came really quickly.

https://armalite.com/shop/ar-10-3-gun-rifle/"]https://armalite.com/shop/ar-10-3-gun-rifle/

Edited by Matt in TN

I am glad to hear that your new AR10 is reliable. I have an older AR10 that was built in the mid '90s. Mine has always been reliable, but people would question what I did to get it to run. They were always surprised when I would tell them "nothing". Even when I was in Finland, I was talking to a gentleman when he showed a photo of an AR10 to me and said "I like it, but it is not reliable enough to shoot IPSC rifle with". He was amazed when I told him of my AR10's reliability record. Mine has always ran with Gen 1 mags, Gen 2 mags and some Checkmate M14 mags that I cut a hole in the side of for the mag catch. What I found out two years ago was that my rifle is barely reliable. I bought some Freedom 150 ball that has a more rounded bullet point. Whith a couple of mags, it won't always feed from the left side of the magazine (my rifle does not have M4 style feed ramps). Prior to this ammo, I have shot surplus ball from many countries (US, UK, Austrailia, Germany, South Africa, Portugal, and a couple of others without issue) along with many commercial loads (no softpoints) without issue.

Hurley