Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics Minor load

mont1120

Well, as an old curmudgeon dinosaur who has shot nothing but .45 in SS and L10, I find myself intrigued by the whole Carry Optics division. I did not give it much thought until the mag round restriction was lifted, so now it really does seem to be something a guy with aging eyes and a bad shoulder that limits reload speed might enjoy. So, before I rush out and buy a whole new CO rig, I ordered a Springer Precision optics plate, a Burris Fastfire III, and will get that mounted on my 5.25 XDm, which is in .40 caliber.

I'm looking for bare minimum minor loads using MG 180 bullets, and the powders I have include, Clays, WST, 231, Nitro 100, and 700X. My OAL will not be too long, certianly not in the STI length, but before I go hog wild and buy a 9mm set up, I want to make sure this is the route to go. I did put my El Cheapo super discounted redt dot on the XDm to see how it would do, and I got all of 20 rounds through it before the dot went to Shooters Valhalla. Soooooo, don't put your discounted POS dot on a slide ride, it will not survive.

Not MG but Xtreme 180 plated FP 1.135 3.6 of 700x gives me 140 PF out of my 5" M&P Pro. Could go softer but found 3.6 as the most accurate.  Easy shooting minor load and great on knock down steel!

Clays will also get you there with a nice soft load, start around 3.0 same bullet & OAL. You may have to change a recoil spring...

I have a Burris FF3 with the Burris mounting plate on an M&P 9 with 500+- rounds with no issues so far? 

Good luck