Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

True Training Regime

Clay1

One day does not make a true training regime, but today I spent over an hour dry firing with Matt Burkett's dry fire drills on his web page. I then watched Steve Anderson's videos on his web page and went through the 10 or so drill videos he has on his site. I also ordered Matt's new video and Steve's book. I have read Brian Enos' book already.

I'm a C class shooter who has just begin shooting this year First match in Jan. I've shot about 5000 rounds so far this year in live fire but am not committed to dry fire like I should until today.

I have two months to go to shoot the State IDPA shoot and want to seriously train for it not just shoot hap-hazardly. I've set a goal to dry fire Every Day for a min of 1/2 hr and live fire 2X per week with at least one match on the weekends. I am planning on letting Mr. Anderson's book be the guiding light on what to work on.

What do you think of the plan of attack and am I all wet or is this a reasonable approach to a more serious practice plan. Would love to hear how much other's actually dry fire/ shoot live fire / month. Thanks for any help or a kick in the rear to shove me in the right direction.

Rick

Sounds like a plan. One thing that I recommend is making sure you understand what you are practicing. It helps when you understand what the end result should be that way you practice it correctly. I had to quit dry firing because I was doing certain drills incorrectly. I trained myself to Double tap targets in dryfire. Once I understood the concept of transitions, I retrained myself with live fire, it ended up being a very smart choice. I improved quite a bit because of it.

Just continue to read, post any questions you have. Theres a ton of info on here you can find just by using the search function.

Flyin40

What do you think of the plan of attack and am I all wet or is this a reasonable approach to a more serious practice plan. Would love to hear how much other's actually dry fire/ shoot live fire / month. Thanks for any help or a kick in the rear to shove me in the right direction.

Rick

Rick ,

Sounds like a good start to me .

fwiw ,

I would add practicing (dry) the techniques that cost the most time specifically to IDPA (the reloads). I would spend an equal amount of time on them as anything else.

From CONCEALMENT , practice slide lock and tac/rwr , not for speed - but for consisitency. The speed will come once you ingrain the 'muscle memory.'

Getting those down to a 2d nature will keep you form fumbling them under match conditions - which we all know ADDS TIME to an otherwise good run.

Good luck.

M