Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm brass base slightly oversize after sizing - small base die?

78Staff

So starting to load up 9mm for the first time - have loaded 45, 10mm, 38/357 for eons, but am a new to 9mm...

Dillon 1050, Dillon dies - setting OAL and crimp based on Dillon case gauge and two barrels - Glock 19 and DW 9mm Guardian (1911 Commander).

Have tried various OAL's all plunked and spun fine in the Glock, all pass case gauge, however the DW barrel plunks, but doesn't spin.  It's a match barrel, at first I though it might be rifling, but ruled that out by going progressively lower on dummy rounds, all the way down to 1.05!.  Decided to mic some cases, and at the base factory rounds are mic'ing at .384, while mine coming out of the Dillon die are .388.  I'm thinking this is the issue - put some poor mans diechem (sharpie) around the base and can see the rub marks.  I tested multiple factory rounds all plunk and spin fine in the DW barrel, all mic at 384, but mine at 388 do not.  Perhaps the DW Match barrel is slightly tighter chamber... or at least tighter than the G19 lol.

So, do I need a small base die?  Or is it a non-issue.  I can say I shot some ladder loads today and it is very, very accurate still, even not being able to spin completely in the throat.  Do I even need to worry about it?  Figured before I crank out a few K rounds I want to be sure.

Derp... Never mind.

ran the crimp down a bit more to 375... spins like a top.  Grrr... I'm embarrassed to admit how long I chase OAL and brass diameter lol.  I was just worried about overcrimping, but seems like 374-376 is the norm depending on bullet diameter.

Your sizing die need to be screwed down a bit more. Screw to shellplate then a 1/8 to 1/4 turn more. I do this on my dies on my 1050. I am a light crimp guy just enough do I get no setback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk