Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays Temperature Sensitivity

ipsc1

Hi all, I started using clays this winter for my production load. While I have a nice load that has worked all winter, I'm wondering how Clays reacts to warmer temps. Normally I'd have real world data to compare by now, but our spring has been very cold and damp, and with only 2 months to the World shoot, I'm wondering whether to switch to a powder that I'm not running at near max loads.

thanks

cliff

Cliff, I shoot Clays quite a bit. My experience is that it displays lower velocities on the chrono at lower temperatures. I've never had any problems with high pressure due to high temperature, but I've shot some guns with 200 grainers over Clays in .40 S&W that showed high pressure signs. (primer flow into the firing pin hole) These loads were totally safe in my blaster, but showed pressure sings in my buddys gun. Its aggravating when primer metal shaves off and fills up the firing pin hole. It makes for light primer strikes and occasional misfires.

Getting too close to maximum pressure is never a good thing. If you have any doubts, Titegroup or VV-320 might be a good choice to help you to deal with a warmer climate and give you the all important peace of mind that you need going into a big match.

Thanks, I was worried that it was one of those that go slower as it gets warmer. Those I find myself loading a little extra hot, just in case. But if my clays load makes minor here in the cold north, I now know it will only get better in the warmer times and places. :D

I'd love to try VV310 or 320, but despite standing orders with powder suppliers for 18 months, I have yet to recieve any. It appears to be quite scarce here in Canada. Fortunately Clays has been well behaved in my 9mm, but I am aware of the pitfalls.

Cliff wrote: "for my production load"

You did not mention caliber.

However, you gave us a clue when you wrote:

"only 2 months to the World shoot" and "Canada"

IPSC Production is virtually 100% 9mm due to the use of normal capacity magazines. Canada is 100% IPSC.

A favored Production load is a 147 grn bullet at 125 to 130 PF. The original question pertains specifically to Clays powder. Appears that Cliff is using Clays in 9mm.

Be very very careful useing Clays in such a load. There are published loads for LEAD 147 grn bullets. See, Lyman, Pistol & Revolver Reloading Handbook, Second Edition, p. 137; 147 grn cast, Alloy #2, Clays 2.8 grns/ 873 fps. I strongly suggest an OAL of at least 1.150" in spite of what the Manual lists as the OAL for this load.

However, I have not found published data for Plated/TMJ or jacketed bullets. What is worse is that I experienced very flat primers with Clays and 147 plated bullets & winchester primers. I think that N310 is far more safe & N320 safer still while still providing a very competitive load. Safer still? Titegroup.

One more caution: keep your Clays loads OUT of the sun on hot days.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

www.shootersparadise.com

good guess on the caliber, although Canada being IPSC has little to do with it. Our laws restrict us to 10 rounds so the .40 is quite popular up here as well in production.

but yes 9mm, 147 grain Montana Gold, winchester primers, OAL 1.14.

tested in LDA and current pistol , CZ85. I've been running 3.14 grains of clays with no pressure signs(pf=126 to 129), and have tested to 3.3 grains.

But I do have 8 lbs of titegroup sitting on a shelf as a backup.

I did a lot of research before deciding to try clays, and then loaded up slowly because of the warnings. But I've been doing this for 15 years, and know what to look for.

But Dave says that no drastic PF change, and Carlos warns against leaving out in hot sun. Is that just cautionary or has your tests revealed a certain level of heat steps over the line?

, and Carlos warns against leaving out in hot sun.  Is that just cautionary or has your tests revealed a certain level of heat steps over the line?

This comes through second-hand information, not my personal experience. However, the source is our host, Brian, who shot Clays in .40 & stated that it became "spikey" when really hot - if for instance your reloads were left in the trunk of your car in the Arizona sun before you used them. There are also anecdotes about Clays users keeping their loads in ice coolers w/ cold packs.

Was this 9mm ammo? No. Apples to oranges so to speak, these anecdotes are from before the existance of Production division and all involve .40 caliber at the old PF of 175.

HOWEVER, my own experience indicated some Wichester primers as quite flat while others were fine when loading Clays into 9x19 w/ 147s (TMJ or Plated). Was it the Clays or was it inconsistent powder throws of only 2.9 grns of flaky Clays by my Dillon? No way to tell. However, I have not seen the same results using the other powders I listed with 9x19mm & 147s.

What we need is more info from 9mm 147 loaders using Clays. Perhaps they can shed light on how it reacts when the temperatures go up.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

I wont load CLAYS with 147lfp anymore. Too many pressure signs, along with uneven powder drop due to bridging in the powder measure with the lighter loads. For lead bullets I run around 3gr of TG, and For match ammo I run VV310. I ran CLAYS with 125lrn for steel, but got better accuracy with W231 and WST. I use the CLAYS for .45 all day long. Hope this helps. DougC

what type of powder throw are you using? I've found that the velocity spread of my clays loads has been quite small, and assumed from that , that I was getting a consistent throw.

cliff

• 2 weeks later...

when i tried clays with 115 grain bullets in the 9mm, accuracy was piss-poor.

some of the most accurate 9mms i have shot were loaded with accurate number 7 and 147 grain XTPs.

the worst were clays with a 125 grain precision bullet.