Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Recoil Spring in the RX?

saibot

Even though I have two P320's for Production, a RX followed me home last month. I outfitted it with identically to my other 320's (Springer guide rod, 14lb. Wolfe variable recoil spring) and noticed it bucked very hard shooting it. Have any of you noticed that? Any suggestions on a new spring poundage?

Thanks!

On 2017-01-23 at 3:37 PM, saibot said:

Even though I have two P320's for Production, a RX followed me home last month. I outfitted it with identically to my other 320's (Springer guide rod, 14lb. Wolfe variable recoil spring) and noticed it bucked very hard shooting it. Have any of you noticed that? Any suggestions on a new spring poundage?

Thanks!

What load are you shooting in it? I've shot mostly 124/125 gr  bullets in Production, but like you, when I shot the same load in the Rx it seemed like it was really bucking around quite a bit. I should also mention I was running a GGI FAT Guiderod with a 14# ISMI recoil spring. I've since gone to a 135gr bullet with the same guiderod and recoil spring and its much more pleasant to shoot. The dot is much easier to track for my eyes. While I think the 320 shoots the 124/125gr bullets the best, a heavier bullet and slower cycling of the slide works better for me with the RX. Regardless, I have a lot of work to do with the Rx before I'm as proficient with it as I am with iron sights.

"While I think the 320 shoots the 124/125gr bullets the best, a heavier bullet and slower cycling of the slide works better for me with the RX".

Hey Bill - I'm interested in your above statement - are you shooting jacketed, cast, or coated bullets? How much slower would you estimate the slide is traveling?

Thanks!

5 hours ago, titandriver said:

"While I think the 320 shoots the 124/125gr bullets the best, a heavier bullet and slower cycling of the slide works better for me with the RX".

Hey Bill - I'm interested in your above statement - are you shooting jacketed, cast, or coated bullets? How much slower would you estimate the slide is traveling?

Thanks!

I'm shooting The Blue Bullets 135gr over Prima V. Regarding the slide velocity, I don't know if its moving even 10% slower, but its enough that I notice I'm able to track the dot better and drive it back on target faster and more consistently. I may come back to 124/125gr bullets for the Rx, but for now, while I'm learning to shoot with the dot, I'm liking the heavier bullet.

On 1/27/2017 at 0:07 PM, BillGarlandJr said:

I'm shooting The Blue Bullets 135gr over Prima V. Regarding the slide velocity, I don't know if its moving even 10% slower, but its enough that I notice I'm able to track the dot better and drive it back on target faster and more consistently. I may come back to 124/125gr bullets for the Rx, but for now, while I'm learning to shoot with the dot, I'm liking the heavier bullet.

I just ordered some of the Prima to try out. Do you think it's substantially better than TiteGroup? I ordered a few different recoil springs to experiment with to see if I can get this thing shooting better. Working on getting a tungsten guide rod made to see if that makes a big improvement. But for the short term, I'll stick with Production.

;)

BTW, Bill, I thought I shot really well (most stages at least) on Saturday. How the heck did you get 10 SECONDS on me? Shesh. 

Congrats on the first place Prod win.